• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Exclude folder from backup

RafaelH

New Pleskian
Hi,

I'm new to Plesk and already have a little problem I can't solve by searching the web. My Plesk Panel 11.0.9 Update #26 is running on a dedicated Debian 6.0.6 server and works all fine, but I'm having some issues with the backups.
I'm doing backups using the standard build in GUI backup manager. Everything works fine, even the cron job which copies the backup files every night to a second location. The problem I'm having is, that I can't specify folders to exclude from the backup. The reason why I need this is, that I have a 24TB RAID mounted in the /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com folder and this will be a problem once the RAID is filling up.
Is there any way to solve my issue? I took a look on the commandline utility pleskbackup, but couldn't find a solution there as well.

Thanks very much!

Rafael

There is no possibility to exclude files/directories from backup not with GUI and not with CLI backup utility. You can exclude only whole domains/clients.

How to exclude whole domains/clients?

There is no possibility to exclude files/directories from backup not with GUI and not with CLI backup utility. You can exclude only whole domains/clients.

On that last bit "... You can exclude only whole domains/clients", how exactly can I do this? Thank you!

# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --help
# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --help

Available options:
-level <clients | domains | resellers | server>
Specifies restoring level: restore
clients from backup, domains from
backup or server-wide backup.

Btw, what folders are included in the Plesk backup? I have a 10 GB backup tar file, and can't easily download it and extract to find out myself.

I was wandering if /var/www/vhosts/something_important would be backed-up? In that case I would place some important files into this folder.

Thanks for help.

I would suggest to backup only the configuration and not the content, if you have domains with large contents. The string "-c" defines such an option and you can as well exclude domains with a string ( --exclude-domain=EXAMPLE_DOMAIN_1,EXAMPLE_DOMAIN_2, ... ) and make a separat backup for these domains with the global string "domains-name EXAMPLE_DOMAIN_1"

Please use the command "/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --help" for all possible options with pleskbackup.

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
I was wandering if /var/www/vhosts/something_important would be backed-up?
If yes, then I would copy some important files to this folder, and I would be sure it's backed up.

I would appreciate very much if someone could answer if the complete vhosts folder ends up inside the backup?

Back