• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

fc2 updates

G

gearhead

Why do I not get FC2 updates like I used to before running plesk 7.5?:confused:
I would feel a lot better if it would update like normal.

FC2 (operating system) updates have nothing to do with Plesk (application) or am I missing something here.

The fc2 up2dates stopped after I installed plesk, I thought plesk was blocking up2dates.
I cant even seem to install new rpms.
I just want to get my intel pro 1000 gigabit lan working by installing the e1000 module.

Plesk has nothing to do with "rpm -ivh package.rpm" type installs. Paste the output from the command line of the install here so we can see the error msgs

I thought i could just double click on an rpm and have it installed, it says there is no program associated with it. So i used the command line way and the rpm for e1000 was made for a different kernel as the error message said. I have the source tarball from intel for it but when i type make install it says something like no compiler found, and I havent figured out how to use rpm-build yet.
One of the u2dates done to the kernel enabled the pro 1000 lan, but it doesnt run at gigabit speed. only ~110 Mbps.

Gearhead,

You may be in over your head a bit.

I thought i could just double click on an rpm and have it installed, it says there is no program associated with it.
Running X on a PSA server? Not a good idea. Stick with runlevel 3, ie no X windows.

So i used the command line way and the rpm for e1000 was made for a different kernel as the error message said.
Paste us the command, your kernel version, and paste us the output of the error.

I have the source tarball from intel for it but when i type make install it says something like no compiler found, and I havent figured out how to use rpm-build yet.

rpm-build builds .src.rpm files. If you are missing your c compiler, install it. Your distribution provides RPMs to install gcc.

One of the u2dates done to the kernel enabled the pro 1000 lan, but it doesnt run at gigabit speed. only ~110 Mbps.
If your speed is greater than 100 mbit, sounds like you have gigabit connectivity to me. But, who knows. 110mbit/sec seems fast to download any one file.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Rick

Ya i run x windows. I cant see myself running everything from command line, not now. Although, if i can do a base install and then plesk, I have control through plesk.... maybe.
I cant paste the output because i browse with a different machine.
I did an 'u2date gcc'. It installed gcc and other required files and i was able to 'make install' the driver from intel. Does that install the necessary files or just create an rpm? Where would the config files be stored?
fast ethernet is 10/100 so gigabit should be 1000, right?
Takes me ~30 seconds to transfer ~350 Mb.

I cant paste the output because i browse with a different machine.
Since the error is appearing on a webserver, simply redirect the error to a file and copy it to a public website.

#command 2>&1 >/home/httpd/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/error.txt

Then, we can all see the error at domain.com/error.txt.

Does that install the necessary files or just create an rpm? Where would the config files be stored?
'make install' most likely installed the driver. Its a kernel module. Paste us the output of 'make install'.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...al_s&q=how+to+load+kernel+modules&btnG=Search

Kernel modules usually don't have config files, don't look for one.

fast ethernet is 10/100 so gigabit should be 1000, right? Takes me ~30 seconds to transfer ~350 Mb.

It all depends buddy- you can have a gigabit LAN with an ISDN uplink for example. If you are downloading that fast, it sounds like you have gige connectivity to the net, but don't assume link speed means everything.

Rick

Back