• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

feedback to plesk (11.X)

WSecure

Basic Pleskian
hello all thanks for reading...

today, I am pissed enough to place my feedback about plesk!
I didn't had much time lately to upgrade but well yesterday I just installed the latest release of plesk version 11.X.
actually I really had to laugh because nothing really changed!

the mysql database plesk does use is STILL 4.1 and NOT as it was named in changelog to version 5.X!
the odbc driver is still 3.51 and NOT 5.X as it is named in the changelog!
plesk does also need old php to be installed and CANNOT use latest release!
therefor what did really change??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

there are still the same freaking errors on install, when you install the panel core components. the comp gets stuck because one msi package does wreck on install and all you can do is shut the process down so the install will continue, nice bugged feature! (same was in 10.4 too and was reported by me before)

also, on install, if you take a hard password for the admin login, it fails because the pass cannot be more than 14 digits and also may not have !"§$%&/() in it etc... if you go back and try to change the pass and continue then to install, plesk is fair idiot enough to still use the OLD password, instead of the new, so all in one you have to end the setup and start a new sesssion, nice bugged feature! (same was in 10.4 too and was reported by me before)

also, on install, I ACTUALLY gave a different database folder, a plesk folder and a webspace folder, but the installer was sick enough to place the plesk files into the database folder, nice NEW sick feature!

there is probably more to report about what didn't really changed e.g. but well I do not have time now anymore, so I stop moaning and maybe will post some more freaking stuff later on... but actually I think I will stop using plesk and install all things I need myself WITHOUT PLESK!!!

just btw. I normally try to help the innovator of software I like to use to improve it, but whenever I posted here about things and errors I noticed, NO ONE from plesk ever answered or did actually care!
I really don't know how a company can release a software and doesn't care for its customers... but ok, its your fault, not mine...

regards

Have you tried go to Tools & Settings > Updates and Upgrades and Update Components there?

hello IgorG,
I did not upgrade, I installed plesk "11" from scratch...

regards

Last edited:
Hello,

* in 11.0.9 we are still using MySQL 4.1 only for Plesk itself. MySQL 5.1 used for databases used by sites and site applications. Anyway, it will be updated in nearest releases.

* ODBC driver 3.5.1 is required by Plesk, because one of it's component work with this driver version. ODBC driver 5.1 is optional, and can be selected to be installed separately during installation process.

* Do you mean Plesk still doesn't have support of PHP 5.4? OR do you mean that Plesk requires PHP 5.2 to be installed mandatory? PHP 5.2 is required by Horde and Atmail webmails. PHP 5.3 can be installed separately and used on sites created in Plesk. PHP 5.4 support will be added in nearest releases.

* regarding freezed installation: can you provide autoinstaller3.log of your installation? Could you please send it to me in private email. Also if you still have autoinstaller3.log from your 10.4 installation (with the same issue), it also will be very helpful if you send them to me for investigation. Log can be found in c:\ParallelsInstaller folder.

* we are thinking about password during installation. Probably it could be removed from installation process at all, because first login to Plesk can be made using Administrator login, and then you will be asked for admin password during initial configuration of Plesk.

* Plesk put some files in DATA folder, but not all it's content of course. What exactly files you think should not be written to DATA folder?

I hope we can investigate all of these problems, and create better product for you in future.

Hi,

had no time lately for posting reply with the things you did requested.

Because I do not have any Plesk installed anymore I cannot show you the last log from 11.9.
I can show you an old one for 10.4. tho.

Today I had run the Plesk 11.9. install on a Hyper-V VM like usual and had the same error with core components, also a big fail on spamassasin, like usual, and a never ending installation.
After pressing refresh in the browser while it was hanging on spamassassin install for hours, I was logged-out and had to relogin into the installer.
After being logged-in I saw this new error:

There are no products for your operating system
( 'Microsoft' 'Windows-server' '6.1-sp1' 'x86_64' ) available
from the selected source.

You can try using another source.

When I "try using another source" which it tells me to click, I could change the installer options, like store installation files to e.g. but I cannot save anything! Besides the usual inputbox which contains "C:\ParallelsInstaller/parallels" is now empty!
The Plesk install is still running but I have now no chance to access the install page, even tho I made a hotlink to favorits. e.g. http://localhost:8447/install_progress.html
So I end up without being able to access the install screen and cannot restart it too.
Today again Plesk showed me once more, why I do not use it anymore...

btw. it was a fully default install I used, no other options but the installation folders were changed.

I made some essential screenshots and stored the log of all the mess that applied this time, all in one the files need storage space of around 10mb. I would prefer a ftp login where I can upload the files just for plesk, if you really care to have those files! You can send me a PM, no email, here.

Regards,
WSecure

Last edited:
Re...
Because half the processes from Plesk install were still in memory I rebootet the machine and checked the things that plesk did install, or not.

I see now that Plesk made it to install itself and I can reaccess the autoinstaller and made all needed micro-updates.
After switching to install components, I see now that not all components were installed by Plesk.
Web presence builder and PHP 5.3 are missing, which are normally installed after spamassassin. Due to the fail I had on install with spamassassin those components were not installed.

Regards

Back