• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

File system loop detected

Win2Pa

New Pleskian
I do not know how this happened though. When I use find command on shell, I got the following error.

find: File system loop detected; `/var/named/chroot/var/named' is part of the same file system loop as `/var/named'.

It is minimal CentOS6.3 install with plesk 11. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Win2

Do

ls -ldi /var/named/chroot/var/named/ /var/named

and see if the inode numbers are the same (they shouldn't be). If they are then you need to remove the /var/named/chroot/var/named/ hard link and recreate it as a directory.

Thanks for your reply abdi,

Here is the output
[root@serverone ~]# ls -ldi /var/named/chroot/var/named/ /var/named
6684673 drwxr-x--- 6 root named 4096 Sep 7 17:17 /var/named
6684673 drwxr-x--- 6 root named 4096 Sep 7 17:17 /var/named/chroot/var/named/

Do I need to copy the content of /var/named to the newly created /var/named/chroot/var/named ?

Thanks

I still have no clue how to fix it. I would like to know any proper way of fixing file loop. Thanks in advance.

No, it is not Virtuozzo container. Plesk panel 11 is installed on HP server with CentOS6.3 minimum install. Plesk setup install all the require packages.

We've seen this loop in a VZ container with Centos 6.x. It is annoying.

I thought there may have been an issue with the template. But if you are having it in a non-VZ system, maybe it is something else.

Yes it is same thing happened on hardware installation. Hopefully plesk will provide us some proper solution to fix it.

Just adding that I experienced this from a clean plesk11 / centos 6.x 64b install. It's the panel install.

I have this issue into a Container.

Virtuozzo 4.7. CentOS 6.3

Code:
du: WARNING: Circular directory structure.
This almost certainly means that you have a corrupted file system.
NOTIFY YOUR SYSTEM MANAGER.
The following directory is part of the cycle:
  `./var/named/chroot/var/named'

Any news?

I have this issue into a Container.

Virtuozzo 4.7. CentOS 6.3

Code:
du: WARNING: Circular directory structure.
This almost certainly means that you have a corrupted file system.
NOTIFY YOUR SYSTEM MANAGER.
The following directory is part of the cycle:
  `./var/named/chroot/var/named'

Any news?

Whilst investigating Plesks Backup not working on our system and checking partitions we have received this same error.

Parallels Plesk Panel 11.5.30 MU #5 CentOS 6.3 (Final) 64bit NOT in a container .

Hello,
I have the same issue CentOS 6.4 64bits, after upgrade to Plesk 11.5.30.

find: File system loop detected; `/var/named/chroot/var/named' is part of the same file system loop as `/var/named'.

Thanks for any help!

P.S: Not Virtuozzo.

Last edited:
We've got this exact same problem today. What's the solution? It's very annoying that there are lots of people on this thread with the same problem but yet nobody has posted how to fix it!

When we run:

ls -ldi /var/named/chroot/var/named/ /var/named

The inode numbers are the same, but we don't know what to do next. Trying unlink gives the message "cannot unlink : Is a directory".

Help!

I´m surprised to see this post and without any solution...

This problem was reported in Red Hat Bugzilla last year, and is fixed in coreutils-8.4-23.el6. Now we have coreutils-19.el6_4.2, so we´ll have to wait. Although there is no problem, only a false alarm when named process is running. I think the fix is an implementation in coreutils to detect bind-mount-induced directory cycle.

In conclusion, there is nothing wrong. Only a false alarm. If you want more info, check the bug description here.

Hi, same issue here with CentOS 6.5 x64 and Plesk 11.5.30

Is there any way to skip this annoying message?

Thanks!

This is a bigger issue with PBAS/OBAS since find returns a "1" return code and this breaks the addition of new nameservers in OBAS.

I've had to temporarly disable bind chrooting.
(yum remove bind-chroot and comment in the /etc/sysconfig/named
[...]
#ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot

Makes me angry since already required to disable SELINUX and now chrooting also.
Please test better and focus on integrating better in "secure" systems.
You gotta consider this is just the default setup of a off-the-shelf linux distribution, not something very hardened.

The problem is caused by the init script of named which mounts the /var/named directory over /var/named/chroot. The solution for this problem too is present in the init script.
+++++++
mount_chroot_conf()
{
# Mount source is a directory. Mount it only if directory in chroot is
# empty.
+++++++

As mentioned above the mount function will work only if the directory is empty. So use the below solution:

1. Stop named
2. Create the directory /var/named/chroot/var/named
3. Create an empty file inside this directory
4. Start named

Back