• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved First time to do a migration. Need some help :)

lukebrenner

New Pleskian
Hi there,
I am doing for the first time a migration from one VPS to the other, both using Plesk Obsidian.
I already managed to properly migrate a subscription (mine) but now I want to do another one ( one of my customers ) but this one is a bit tricky and I don't know how to do it or if it is even possible.
Here it is ...

On the SOURCE server I have :
- customer John Doe assigned to subscription called domainA.com ( with main domain domainA.com)
- in the subscription there is another domain called domainB.com

The thing is, when the subscription was created, domainA.com existed but then my customer did not want to use it anymore and let it expire. He only uses domainB.com

Now, I want to migrate the domainB.com, the associated files, database and mails, to a new subscription on the TARGET server, but which I want to call domainB.com ( with the same min domain) still with same customer John Doe. DomainA.com is not needed anymore, so we want to completely get rid of it.

How can I accomplish that ?

Thank you very much, this is my first posting.

Think of this as two separate tasks. First, sort out the subscription on your old VPS, so rename the subscription, remove unwanted domains, etc. (have backups!). Second, perform the migration as you normally would.

In other words, the purpose of migration tools is not to rename subscriptions or remove domains but to migrate them as they are.

Hi Ales, I don't really understand. I can't simply rename the subscription, I need to create another one on the old VPS, with the domainB.com as main domain. The problem is I can't because the domain already exists on the server. Ideally I would switch in the subscription between domainA.com ( main, now ) and domainB.com ... but it is not possible either. I am kinda stuck so that's why I wanted to know how this would be doable. Thanks

Since you're using Plesk Obsidian, it is possible to move the additional domain (domainB.com in this case) to a new subscription and it will become the main domain on the new subscription. Double check if there is anything under the domainA.com left that needs moving, such as databases. Then you can remove the obsolete domainA.com subscription entirely and just migrate the new one.

Please refer to this Plesk Help Center article: How to move domains between subscriptions in Plesk.

Thank you Ales ! It actually worked like a charm :)
But now I have a last and serious problem and I have to do it in 24 hours max, after that my old VPS will be deleted....

We're talking here abut the main domain of the Administrator subscription, the domain that I FIRST added when I set up my VPS for the first time. That one I cannot transfer it to a temporary subscription that I created, it says that it cannot find the specified path, but the temp subscription is there. It has to do something with the fact that it is the main domain of the main subscription. And to simply migrate it like that I cannot because on the new one I already have a new Administrator subscription, it will conflict.

What to do :( ? How can I somehow "unbind" this domain from the main subscription ( which will be left with nothing ...)

Thanks a lot !

Hopefully if you describe exactly what was attempted when the error about the path occurred, possibly with some screenshots, someone will be able to help.

Hi, I finally managed to do it in the following way : assigned the subscription to another customer/subscriber ( not the Administrator) ... then migrated the customer ( not the subscription).
On the new server I then moved my domain to Administrator, that was the only way I could do it.
Thank you.

Back