• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Fix for Mailman posts being rejected, due to Yahoo and AOL DMARC policy?

flaxton

Basic Pleskian
A few weeks ago, Yahoo (and then AOL) implemented a change to their DMARC policy, where an email claiming to be from one of their users, that isn't coming from their domain, is rejected.

That's great to stop spam, but mailman (mailing list) email sets the FROM to the original sender (possibly a Yahoo or AOL user) and then REPLY TO to the list address. It also includes a header identifying the email as BULK (from a mailing list).

But this change on Yahoo and AOL causes them and others that honor DMARC settings (like gmail, hotmail, etc.) to bounce these messages on mailing lists.

Mailman has recently added changes to handle this, but Plesk 11 runs mailman 2.1.12. There is some configuration present in mailman 2.1.16, and it gets better in 2.1.17. The current stable version of Mailman is 2.1.18.

How do we deal with this on Plesk? Can I force install a new version of Mailman? Will this break my system (CentOS 6.3)?

Read more about the problem here:

Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's - The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html

Yahoo email anti-spoofing policy breaks mailing lists - PC World
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141120/yahoo-email-antispoofing-policy-breaks-mailing-lists.html

Last edited:
I, too, would like a solution to this for my Plesk 11 servers. I inquired with Plesk support about upgrading Mailman but they said Plesk only supports Mailman 2.1.9. This is a major issues and needs to be addressed by Parallels.

If a solution isn't provided it makes all of our customer's mailing lists useless.

Plesk uses a native mailman package. You can update it by follow steps:

1. Upgrade mailman package by package manager(rpm, yum, apt, dpkg, zypper)
2. Execute mchk.
3. Possible an admin's password will be flushed. Go to Plesk interface and setup the admin's password for mailman.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I attempted to upgrade Mailman using Yum on CentOS 6.4 with Plesk 11. However, "yum check-update" does not list Mailman as a package with an available update. I opened a ticket with my VPS provider who, in turn, opened a ticket with Parallels, who responded...

... mailmain version 2.1.18 in not yet tested and not a part of Plesk Panel distribution.

I am afraid to say that the upgrade of mailman is out of support from Parallels Technical support team...

Any suggestions, would be much appreciated, so that my mailing list users can continue to have working mailing lists?

Regards,
Bob

# rpm -qi mailman | grep Vendor
Version : 2.1.12 Vendor: CentOS

# cat /usr/local/psa/version
11.5.30 CentOS 6 115140401.17

As you can see, Plesk uses OS vendor's mailman version. So, you can just wait when CentOS include new mailman version in their official repository or try to update it from source.

Yeah, that might be a long wait for CentOS as they are still using Mailman 2.1.9 on their own mailing lists.

Back