• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP access to statistics folder

D

Danikar

I didn't originally set up our Plesk installations. But I am having trouble getting them to work with Urchin.

The way we have our servers set up is we have 8 server each with 500+ virtual hosts. Each with Urchin and Plesk on them. Urchin can access all the logs locally with no problem.

However, we want to combine all of our Urchin statistics in one place. So, our plan is to have one server with Urchin on it, and retrieve the web stats for the other servers through FTP. (If there is a better method, let me know. lol)

Well when we log into the the individual domains ftp we can not access the statistics folder.

Which is normally /home/httpd/vhosts/DOMAIN/statistics

It just gives an access error. Apparently only root can access the folder.

Is there a setting in Plesk that blocks access from this folder? Is it there for a really good reason? And is there a better way to do what I am trying to do.

i may be wrong, but i think it is done to prevent access to logs and other statistic files for other clients on the same server: from shell scripts, from CGI scripts and so on..

i would not like if my logs an stat files be readable for everyone..

access is allowed for root user and psaserv group only because statistics/ folder have permissions root:psaserv r-xr-x---.

owner must be root to prevent files modification by domain owner.. group is set to psaserv to allow access for Plesk utilities to there.. access for others is disallowed..

and because of the above it is difficult to find the way how also to give 'read' permissions for domain's ftp user. at least i do not see easy way..

So, any ideas on how to centralize my Urchin statistics in one place? Or is it best just to have 8 Urchin installations?

My other idea was to use the urchin.cgi to take the reports and put them in a mysql database, then display the information with a php script.

But that almost seems like reinventing the wheel. (urchin being the wheel)

i never used urchin and do not know how exactly it works, but if it runs its scripts under some unique 'urchin' system user - you may try to add this system user into 'psaserv' group...

Back