• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Backup option (Wher'd it go?)

ZopfWare

Regular Pleskian
Hey!...What happened to the FTP backup option??? All my domains were scheduled to backup to my FTP backup server nightly....NOW what am I supposed to do?

Store everything locally? Sheesh!

So what are we supposed to do tell all our customers that the ftp backup service they have been paying us for is no longer available????

I am on the phone with Tech-Support (aka. the Russians) and I am told that FTP is NO LONGER available in Plesk 8. (I am assuming that this might have to do with them wanting you to purchase the Acronis package to be able to move things around from server to server. (See thread about Acronis elsewhere on this forum)

Sheesh... wish they had made all this clear before we upgraded.

Well that a HUUUUUUUGGGGEEE no-no.

What's the point of having an FTP backup server?

If you backup to the same server as Plesk and you get a hard drive failure like we did 2 weeks ago you have lost everything. Backups as well.

well, so much for "adding" new features eh...

Why add when you can take away and charge to get back. Looks like the Russians really have found capitalism.

ôåêàëèè áûêà

I've dropped them an email about it, I'm sure it'll return. In Plesk 8 they changed the backup engine completely by dropping psadump/psarestore and replacing it with Plesk Backup Manager which is based on the much more efficient Plesk Migration Manager engine. I imagine time constraints meant they didn't get this feature added in time.

Well that officially puts me on the sidelines

I couldn't agree more with the other posters. What's the point of doing backups if you can't get them off the server in an automated fashion? I've got a machine in my rackspace expressly for the purpose of receiving my backups. Obviously somebody wasn't thinking this one through.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the pioneers taking this arrow...

I just got a reply from Plesk....

"This option is temporary disabled since it is not tested completel. Backup domains to external FTP servers will be available in Plesk 8.1."

I responded with:

"Thank goodness for that. It is a huge failing not to have it.

I would have suggested NOT releasing 8.0 until this was there.

When can we expect to see 8.1 and will it be part of the Acronis backup or the normal Plesk backup?

Will we have to pay for it?"

Install a crippled upgrade and wait for the next release for full functionality.... They didn't get bought out by Micro$oft by any chance did they...

I am astonished that one of the MOST important features got dropped. Fair cop if it was font problem of something like that but a service that many of us charge for.

Refunds at the ready :(

Another reply from them....

"Plesk 8.1 is going to be released in the beginning of the summer."

So let's hope our servers do not break down before then.

Guess I'll Wait till 8.1 ... took me over 6 months to iron out 7.5 .. not going back to that drawing board again.

8.0.0 was released too soon. I would have much rather gotten 8.0.0 in the summer when everything would work rather than getting a gimp version now.

It's one thing to release a beta, but this was a full blown official release. I'd expect more from a company that has as many clients as they do...... If they want to hold the title of "#1", they need to step it up a notch.

Agreed.

I recieved a notification that it was "released" yesterday. After spending the entire day on the forums, it was obvious that something just quite isnt right...

Enjoy Your Day

phew! am glad am not even tempted to upgrade this minute. I'll wait till 8.1. I cannot even do without ftp backup.

I wonder if there is a Cron Job that can be setup to backup a domain via FTP. Anyone know how that could possibly be done?

PLESKBACKUP Script

Here, here!!! Nothing like going modular, huh?

If anyone is in need of a fix for the FTP backup, you can use this script.
#!/bin/sh

# Simple script written by Mega 2000 AS. Feel free to use and modify it on your own risk and responsibility

# Setting variables

# Setting date to name the backupfile with todays date
date=`/bin/date "+%Y%m%d"`

# Your username on the ftp server
username="YOURUSERNAME"

# Your password on the ftp server
passwd="YOURPASS"

# FTP servers adress
ftpserver="SERVERNAME"

# Local directory where the backupfiles will be temporarily placed

backupdir="/usr/local/src"

# You do not need to change anything below this line

# Running Plesk backupscript. Use line with the command nostop is not recommended and are not disabling webservices
# as long the pleskbackup is running. If preferedd comment in an # before that line an uncomment the next line and
# the backup will run with apache, psa and qmail stopped on the server. That is the recommended mode.

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all $backupdir/dump$date.svr

#/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map dump20060603.svr -map dump1
#/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore dump20060603.svr -level clients -map dump1

###/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore dump20060603.svr -level all -map dump1 --DOESN'T WORK

# Changing to dump directory

cd $backupdir

# Transfering files to your backupserver

ftp -n $ftpserver <<!EOF!
user $username $passwd
binary
cd /DIR
prompt
mput dump*
quit
!EOF!

cd /$backupdir
rm -rf dump*

#Done
You can modify it to backup clients only by changing the pleskbackup line to:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --clients $backupdir/dump$date.svr -list $clientdir/CLIENT_DOMAINS_FILENAME

chmod these files to at least 0750

Create files in a location of your choice, i.e..... gnu. In each of these files put the names of all domains owned by the client.

You will have to run them manually or create cron jobs to run the backups for you.

Our clients are very understanding of the situation and have agreed to continue payment as long as we perform the backups and provide copies to them. A nice trade-off for being screwed.

(found this script in the SW-Soft forums sometime ago, just glad I still had a copy.)

Back