1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

FTP Backup option (Wher'd it go?)

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by ZopfWare, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ZopfWare

ZopfWare Regular Pleskian

57%
    Hey!...What happened to the FTP backup option??? All my domains were scheduled to backup to my FTP backup server nightly....NOW what am I supposed to do?

Store everything locally? Sheesh!

2. SpLord

SpLord Guest

Good question, seems to be gone :-(

3. ZopfWare

57%
    So what are we supposed to do tell all our customers that the ftp backup service they have been paying us for is no longer available????

4. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Silver Pleskian

80%
    Yikes.....It's gone in ours too.

What do we do?

5. ZopfWare

57%
    I am on the phone with Tech-Support (aka. the Russians) and I am told that FTP is NO LONGER available in Plesk 8. (I am assuming that this might have to do with them wanting you to purchase the Acronis package to be able to move things around from server to server. (See thread about Acronis elsewhere on this forum)

Sheesh... wish they had made all this clear before we upgraded.

6. Pagemakers

80%
    Well that a HUUUUUUUGGGGEEE no-no.

What's the point of having an FTP backup server?

If you backup to the same server as Plesk and you get a hard drive failure like we did 2 weeks ago you have lost everything. Backups as well.

7. MikePaul99

MikePaul99 Guest

well, so much for "adding" new features eh...

Why add when you can take away and charge to get back. Looks like the Russians really have found capitalism.

ôåêàëèè áûêà

8. Cranky

Cranky Guest

I've dropped them an email about it, I'm sure it'll return. In Plesk 8 they changed the backup engine completely by dropping psadump/psarestore and replacing it with Plesk Backup Manager which is based on the much more efficient Plesk Migration Manager engine. I imagine time constraints meant they didn't get this feature added in time.

9. SacAutos

SacAutos Regular Pleskian

40%
    Well that officially puts me on the sidelines

I couldn't agree more with the other posters. What's the point of doing backups if you can't get them off the server in an automated fashion? I've got a machine in my rackspace expressly for the purpose of receiving my backups. Obviously somebody wasn't thinking this one through.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the pioneers taking this arrow...

10. Pagemakers

80%
    I just got a reply from Plesk....

"This option is temporary disabled since it is not tested completel. Backup domains to external FTP servers will be available in Plesk 8.1."

I responded with:

"Thank goodness for that. It is a huge failing not to have it.

I would have suggested NOT releasing 8.0 until this was there.

When can we expect to see 8.1 and will it be part of the Acronis backup or the normal Plesk backup?

Will we have to pay for it?"

11. Pagemakers

80%
    Further Plesk reply:

"This will be a part of regular Plesk backup. You shouldn't pay for this feature."

12. MikePaul99

MikePaul99 Guest

Install a crippled upgrade and wait for the next release for full functionality.... They didn't get bought out by Micro$oft by any chance did they...

13. Pagemakers

80%
    I am astonished that one of the MOST important features got dropped. Fair cop if it was font problem of something like that but a service that many of us charge for.

Refunds at the ready :(

14. Pagemakers

80%
    Another reply from them....

"Plesk 8.1 is going to be released in the beginning of the summer."

So let's hope our servers do not break down before then.

15. ddziuban

ddziuban Guest

Guess I'll Wait till 8.1 ... took me over 6 months to iron out 7.5 .. not going back to that drawing board again.

16. AdCamp686

AdCamp686 Guest

8.0.0 was released too soon. I would have much rather gotten 8.0.0 in the summer when everything would work rather than getting a gimp version now.

It's one thing to release a beta, but this was a full blown official release. I'd expect more from a company that has as many clients as they do...... If they want to hold the title of "#1", they need to step it up a notch.

17. ddziuban

ddziuban Guest

Agreed.

I recieved a notification that it was "released" yesterday. After spending the entire day on the forums, it was obvious that something just quite isnt right...

Enjoy Your Day

18. mirage@

mirage@ Guest

phew! am glad am not even tempted to upgrade this minute. I'll wait till 8.1. I cannot even do without ftp backup.

19. Morditech.com

Morditech.com Guest

I wonder if there is a Cron Job that can be setup to backup a domain via FTP. Anyone know how that could possibly be done?

20. phatPhrog

phatPhrog Guest

PLESKBACKUP Script

Here, here!!! Nothing like going modular, huh?

If anyone is in need of a fix for the FTP backup, you can use this script.
    You can modify it to backup clients only by changing the pleskbackup line to:
    You will have to run them manually or create cron jobs to run the backups for you.

Our clients are very understanding of the situation and have agreed to continue payment as long as we perform the backups and provide copies to them. A nice trade-off for being screwed.

(found this script in the SW-Soft forums sometime ago, just glad I still had a copy.)