• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question ftp files list limitations

gmk77

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
ubuntu
Plesk version and microupdate number
latest
Hello, in the next few days I will activate my first server using plesk, on this server I will put a webapp which, among other things, will generate on the disk many files over time (over 20000 I think) I would like to know if I will see all of them when I will connect to the webspace using ftp or if there is a limitation on the maximum number of files showable via ftp. I ask this beacause in the past I used a cpanel system and in that case where was a limit.

thank you

When your system allows 20.000 file handles or more open at any given time, FTP service will, too. However, keep in mind that reading and presenting such a large number of files in a directory via FTP can create timeouts and stall the FTP software. Beyond FTP you will also experience a much longer backup time for such installations, because each file adds to it.

It will be much better to distribute such collections into subdirectories, so that not all files need to be handled at the same time. And if you have an option, e.g. if we are talking about temporary session files or other small files, it could be better to manage the data in a database instead of using files.

Hi Peter and thank you for your reply. I am aware of your information, my interest was to be sure that the plesk ftp server behavior is different respect the whm ftp program that as I say, not list all. If listing will take time and will block the ftp service no problem (I'll be the unique user to access).

There could be a problem with the FTP program running into an internal timeout. I had frequently heard from users that when they try to access thousands of files on a server through FTP their program won't show all or even crash. However, that is not really a server-side issue.

Back