• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

FTP Login 20 Character Length Limit - Plesk Backup Manager Personal FTP Repository

Justin Clarke

Regular Pleskian
I had an issue (see this post) with my FTP Login user name in the Backup Manager Personal FTP Repository.

For some reason when I entered my login name of "insightwebxxxxxxx.co.uk" (23 characters long) it was giving the following error "Error: FTP connection failed, please check your FTP settings. You can use alphanumeric, dash and underscore symbols in the login name."

I first thought it was the dots/periods in my Login user name that it didn't like. But then I figured it was actually the length of the Login user name that it didn't like. For some reason this is limited to 20 characters, but the error message doesn't tell you that!

The problem I had is that my hosting company for the domain I was trying to connect to had fixed my FTP Login user name, so there was no way of changing it or changing the length of it.

So this is the information on how I fixed the issue...

If you login to your Plesk panel, and go to your Database Servers section and click on Local MySQL server, then choose the Databases tab and click on Webadmin to load your MyPHPAdmin page. From the database drop down list select the psa database and then you will see a table called BackupsSettings, if you click the Browse tab you can then edit the backup_ftp_settinglogin parameter which is your FTP Login user name. This will now accept a value of 255 characters maximum! Fixed!

Hope this helps someone else!

Regards, Justin.

Anyone know how I can report this to Plesk, so they can change the error message to something more meaningful? I.e, instead of:

"Error: FTP connection failed, please check your FTP settings. You can use alphanumeric, dash and underscore symbols in the login name."

Change to:

"Error: FTP connection failed, please check your FTP settings. FTP Login name is greater than 20 characters, please reduce the length."

Or maybe they could just allow us to put in longer FTP Login user names??? That would be more helpful.

I have submitted corresponding request to developers. I hope it will be corrected in one of nearest Plesk update.

According to information from developers this problem has been fixed and fix should be included to 9.5.1 version.

Getting error while creating FTp

I am new to Parallels Plesk Panel. when i am creating a ftp details it is showing the error

( Error: FTP connection failed, please check your FTP settings. )

Can you guide me how to resolve this asap.

I am using 9.3.0 Version

Go to your shell and do the following:

Code:
yum install ftp

When that is complete with the installation, then you can now try again through the backup manager.

Back