• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question ftp problem behind firewall

Maxwell Banks

New Pleskian
Hi!

I have a plesk server at centos 7 wiht local ip, because I have a FW with public ip with port forward.
All server work great, except ftp service (proftpd)

If I try access ftp from linux ftp client, the server respond ok, and I can make a dir and recieve all directory, but before to recieve the directory say:

ftp> dir
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||12750|).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

Allways from Windows and when at linux put passive command I recieve:

ftp> passive
Passive mode: off; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> dir
200 EPRT command successful
425 Unable to build data connection: Permission denied

I fix it the problem puting a comment at line
#MasqueradeAddress XX.XX.XX.XX #Public IP
at virtual host section at file

/etc/proftpd.d/50-plesk.conf

... but these file say at header:

#ATTENTION!
#
#DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY,
#SO ALL YOUR CHANGES WILL BE LOST THE NEXT TIME THE FILE IS GENERATED.

Where is the correcte place to change these configuration?

Thanks a lot!

Maxwell.

Hi Igor!
I read the below article, but have example to add properties adding a conf file at /etc/proftpd.d/ directory, but I don't add any property. I need remove a existen property at 50-plesk.conf

I have any way to remove the MasqueradeAddress attribute?

Thanks a lot!

Maxwell.

Hi Conny Tigerspice,

Do you have configured port forwarding? What port(s) are you have configured? Could you please post your FTP-client's logs?

Hello,

I suggest starting with documentation :)
Typically, need to configure a firewall to allow a port range for passive FTP. If you can't resolve an issue, I suggest creating a new forum thread, describe your installation (OS version, Plesk version), provide logs from FTP-client and a text of the error.

Thank you for the links, I'll look into them!

I don't think that it is neccessary to create a new post, because basically I have a solution. The FTP is working if I remove MasqueradeAddress from the file /etc/proftpd.d/50-plesk.conf, but as the author wrote: he did not know how to just remove one line from this file.

What I'm doing at the moment is that I created a new file /etc/proftpd.d/nomasquerade.conf and copied the contents of the other file into it without the MasqueradeAddress line. Then I changed the file /etc/proftpd.conf to not include the 50-plesk.conf any more. I'm not sure if this is how it has to be done, but it is working for now...

Back