• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue FTP to store Plesk server backup

zakaria

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
debian 10
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.42 Update #1
Hi, hope everyone is doing well;
I set up an FTP server with IIS to store backups, it worked fine but not when it's behind pfSense firewall
even with port 21 forwarded, I needed to also forward the range for passive mode for it to work
but then it stopped working for no apparent reason, I get Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached
I set the range for now to 5000-10000, but I want to make it smaller if possible
I also wanted to move to FTPS, I certified it and when tried to use it, it didn't work with and without the firewall
do I need to do something other than ticking the use FTPS option?

I managed to solve the issue

turns out, IIS didn't use the range I specified, it's a problem with IIS needing to restart ftpsvc service from services restart in IIS doesn't work
the one time that worked was just a coincidence, IIS probably used a port within the range open in pfSense
this solved FTP through pfSense, but to make FTPS work I needed to also allow port 990

now I can make the range as small as I need, even down to one port, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case some other application take that port

After more testing, it seems forwarding port 990 doesn't make a difference, so I'm not sure what was stopping FTPS from working

Back