• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue FTP to store Plesk server backup

zakaria

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
debian 10
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.42 Update #1
Hi, hope everyone is doing well;
I set up an FTP server with IIS to store backups, it worked fine but not when it's behind pfSense firewall
even with port 21 forwarded, I needed to also forward the range for passive mode for it to work
but then it stopped working for no apparent reason, I get Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached
I set the range for now to 5000-10000, but I want to make it smaller if possible
I also wanted to move to FTPS, I certified it and when tried to use it, it didn't work with and without the firewall
do I need to do something other than ticking the use FTPS option?

I managed to solve the issue

turns out, IIS didn't use the range I specified, it's a problem with IIS needing to restart ftpsvc service from services restart in IIS doesn't work
the one time that worked was just a coincidence, IIS probably used a port within the range open in pfSense
this solved FTP through pfSense, but to make FTPS work I needed to also allow port 990

now I can make the range as small as I need, even down to one port, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case some other application take that port

After more testing, it seems forwarding port 990 doesn't make a difference, so I'm not sure what was stopping FTPS from working

Back