• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved General question about self-defined hostname

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi @ all,
Sorry for this basic questions, but after days searching on internet I got too many contradictory results.

User-defined Hostname configuration:
1. A few years ago one provider (not mine) strictly recommended in his docs to create a special subscription for an subdomain in PLESK if you want to use this subdomain as hostname. But I think there would be also the possibility to create a subdomain, not a subscription.
1a. Exactly here arises the next important problem: I can create a subdomain in my providers (1and1) domain-control-panel.
According to my actual real configuration I first changed s18827000.onlinehome-server.info to server.example.com in PLESK - Server - Preferences.
Then I created server.domain.com as a subdomain in 1and1 control panel and finally added only an additional CName entry in the domain.com subscription (server.domain.com CName domain.com.) over PLESK Panel.
Not a subscription and no subdomain in PLESK, (only subdomain in providers panel).
Is it correct, or is it better to create server.domain.com also as a subscription, or as a subdomain in PLESK Panel?

Lots of greets

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

1. A few years ago one provider (not mine) strictly recommended in his docs to create a special subscription for an subdomain in PLESK if you want to use this subdomain as hostname. But I think there would be also the possibility to create a subdomain, not a subscription.
STILL a good advice, even that both is possible! This is something that YOU as a server/domain - admin decide! ;) I do recommend as well this advice to avoid several issues and misconfigurations ( which I don't describe any further to avoid discussions :p )

1a. Exactly here arises the next important problem: I can create a subdomain in my providers (1and1) domain-control-panel.
According to my actual real configuration I first changed s18827000.onlinehome-server.info to server.arox.eu in PLESK - Server - Preferences.
Then I created server.arox.eu as a subdomain in 1and1 control panel and finally added only an additional CName entry in the arox.eu subscription (server.arox.eu. CName arox.eu.) over PLESK Panel.
Not a subscription and no subdomain in PLESK, (only subdomain in providers panel).
Is it correct, or is it better to create server.arox.eu also as a subscription, or as a subdomain in PLESK Panel?
A hostname should be always a FULLY QUALIFIED DOMAIN NAME ( FQDN ), where a CNAME - entry is just a redirect ( alias ! ) to another FQDN.

See pls. => https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

=>
Also, PTR records must point back to a valid A record, not a alias defined by a CNAME.

Hi @UFHH01
thank you for the good advice. So I did it and created a subscription for server.domain.com. Little problem could be the www.-subdomain which is automatically also created.
I don't know why, but now it is not possible to secure this subscription with Letsencrypt. I got the following error:
[2017-05-15 04:31:42] ERR [extension/letsencrypt] Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/modules/letsencrypt/scripts/cli.php failed with exit code 1 and the output:
Install certificate failure: Unable to set certificate name :
Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/modules/letsencrypt/scripts/cli.php failed with exit code 1 and the output:
Install certificate failure: Unable to set certificate name :

exit status 1

I guess it could be caused by the fact that I installed Security Advisor extension few days ago only to secure the hostname server.example.com which was also successful. But I have to say that few days ago server.example.com existed only as an CNAME entry in DNS of subscription example.com and as a real subdomain only in my providers panel. The CName entry I had to delete now, otherwise it was not possible to create the actual subscription of server.domain.com. For the reason that this subscription is only for hostname and successful usage of DNS servers I won't never use it for webhosting. Crazy, as Plesk hostname it's secured by Advisor, but not as the webspace domain????
Or would it be nevertheless the better way to make server.domain.com as normal subdomain and no full subscription?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @UFHH01 . It worked! But with strange output!
Code:
root@server:~# plesk db "select id, name from certificates where name = 'Lets Encrypt server.arox.eu'"
+----+-----------------------------+
| id | name                        |
| 19 | Lets Encrypt server.example.com |
root@server:~# plesk db "select c.id, c.name, r.rep_id, d.name from certificates c left join Repository r on (c.id = r.component_id) left join domains d on (r.rep_id = d.cert_rep_id) where r.rep_id not in (select val from misc where param = 'cert_rep_id') or r.rep_id is null"
+----+----------------------------------+--------+---------------------+
| id | name                             | rep_id | name                |
|  4 | Lets Encrypt example.eu             |      2 | example.eu             |
| 19 | Lets Encrypt server.example.eu      |      2 | example.eu             |
|  5 | Lets Encrypt example.com         |      3 | example.com         |
|  6 | Lets Encrypt example.com  |      4 | example.com  |
|  7 | Lets Encrypt example.de  |      5 | example.de  |
|  8 | Lets Encrypt example.eu            |      6 | example.eu            |
| 10 | Lets Encrypt example.com          |      8 | example.com          |
| 11 | Lets Encrypt example.com |      9 | example.com |
| 18 | Lets Encrypt example.de   |     10 | example.de   |
|  3 | Backup sign certificate          |   NULL | NULL                |

First I deleted "Backup sign certificate" in the last row.
Then I also deleted server.example.eu. It hasn't had a NULL, but the problem was the duplicate certificate name.
Code:
root@server:~# plesk db "select c.id, c.name, r.rep_id, d.name from certificates c left join Repository r on (c.id = r.component_id) left join domains d on (r.rep_id = d.cert_rep_id) where r.rep_id not in (select val from misc where param = 'cert_rep_id') or r.rep_id is null"
| 11 | Lets Encrypt example.com |      9 | example.com |
| 18 | Lets Encrypt example.de   |     10 | example.de   |

In the end I was able to install certificate for the server.arox.eu subscription (domain).

Correct output now:
Code: