• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Getting Flash's XMLSocket object to work

T

thedust2010

I have a Flash script that utilizes the XMLSocket object. It works fine when I run it off of my local disk, but when placed on our Plesk server, it is not communicating properly. I have found documentation about what is required on the web server to get this working properly:

http://www.sephiroth.it/reference.php?id=783&cat=1

---
To use the XMLSocket class, the server computer must run a daemon that understands the protocol used by the XMLSocket class. The protocol is described in the following list:

* XML messages are sent over a full-duplex TCP/IP stream socket connection.

* Each XML message is a complete XML document, terminated by a zero (0) byte.

* An unlimited number of XML messages can be sent and received over a single XMLSocket connection.

The following restrictions apply to how and where an XMLSocket object can connect to the server:

* The XMLSocket.connect() method can connect only to TCP port numbers greater than or equal to 1024. One consequence of this restriction is that the server daemons that communicate with the XMLSocket object must also be assigned to port numbers greater than or equal to 1024. Port numbers below 1024 are often used by system services such as FTP, Telnet, and HTTP, so XMLSocket objects are barred from these ports for security reasons. The port number restriction limits the possibility that these resources will be inappropriately accessed and abused.

* The XMLSocket.connect() method can connect only to computers in the same domain where the SWF file resides. This restriction does not apply to SWF files running off a local disk. (This restriction is identical to the security rules for loadVariables(), XML.sendAndLoad(), and XML.load().) To connect to a server daemon running in a domain other than the one where the SWF resides, you can create a security policy file on the server that allows access from specific domains. For more information on creating policy files for XMLSocket connections, see "About allowing cross-domain data loading" in Using ActionScript in Flash.

Setting up a server to communicate with the XMLSocket object can be challenging. If your application does not require real-time interactivity, use the loadVariables() function, or Flash HTTP-based XML server connectivity (XML.load(), XML.sendAndLoad(), XML.send()), instead of the XMLSocket class.
---

Does anyone know what can be done to make this happen? I am pulling my hair out here. I don't have much experience with Linux and ports... any help would be much appreciated.

I am having the same problem with Flash's LoadVars class. I'm not even getting an HTTP Status number... there must be some kind of weird security restriction here.

Never mind... had to use RELATIVE links in Flash 8.

Back