• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Good DNS black lists for mailserver

petrosvw

New Pleskian
Hello,

Currently I'm trying to reduce spam even before the filter will look into it.
Using dnsbl for it seems a good option for me.
I did some research and came up with the following:
  • zen.spamhaus.org
  • spam.spamrats.com
  • b.barracudacentral.org
These blacklists have a good reputation. But I'm still looking for better detection. I still receive around 40 -60messages (yes, the spamfilter finds them all and mark them as spam) a day.

Do you guy's have some good blacklists that don't block too much (false positives)?
And maybe other suggestions?

My settings list:
  • DKIM, DMARC activated for incoming mail
  • SPF checking mode is set to softfail
  • DNSBL activated with the list above

Thanks in advance

In addition to the dnsbl's you already mentioned I also use:
  • bl.spamcop.net
  • psbl.surriel.com
  • ix.dnsbl.manitu.net
In all honesty I haven't researched these lists thoroughly. But by trial and error I've end up with these dnsbl's and they seem to work fine so far. Still quite some spam is coming trough.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will take a look in these. My previous blacklist blocked too much. (XS4ALL, hotmail and more. So that's why I started this topic)

My current list:
  • zen.spamhaus.org
  • spam.spamrats.com
  • b.barracudacentral.org
  • xbl.spamhaus.org
  • bl.spamcop.net
  • psbl.surriel.com

Hi, the two lists below are resulting in too many false positives, any alternatives?

xbl.spamhaus.org
zen.spamhaus.org

Thank you.

I've also noticed problems with these lists:
zen.spamhaus.org
bl.spamcop.net
I use these:
bl.spamcop.net
psbl.surriel.com

The zen.spamhaus.org list doesn't only include bulk mail senders, but also websites that are known to contain malicious software. If such a site is on a shared IP address, there might be nothing wrong with the mail service on the sending ip, yet the ip is still blacklisted due to one (other) website containing malicious scripts.

Back