• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved got enough RAM - but Plesk uses much SWAP

Goodfred

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.49 Update #2
Hello again everyone!

I have a Plesk server with 8GB RAM.

The server says that I have 7,77GB RAM totaly, 1,62GB are used, 121,77MB free, shared using 650,22MB, buffer 328,57MB, cache 5,71GB, availiable 5,22GB
The server says following about SWAP-use: totaly 4GB, Used 3,02GB, Free 104,20MB

Plesk RAM und SWAP 03.PNG

I got following message by "Monitoring":
("the limit for the workload of the outsourcing was exeeded")
("The status of the worklouad of the outsourcing is critical")
("the actual value is 3,24GiB")

Plesk RAM und SWAP 02.PNG

Plesk RAM und SWAP 01.PNG

Now my question is, what should I do?

I think its better when the system doesnt use 3,2GiB SWAP when there are more 5,71GB in the cache/free.
Should I set the SWAPINESS value from standard (60) to 30? Would this fix the message which I recieved?

What would you recommend me to do?
As I said - there is much RAM free/cached and I think its not the best solution when Plesk uses this big SWAP file when there is this much RAM cached/free.

Im thankful for answers, I wish a good week and I stay
with kind regards
Goodfred!

It's just normal that Linux is using some swap even if enough RAM is available. On test machines here I got 256 GB of RAM, yet Linux still uses swap around 1 to 2 GB once in a while. It is not Plesk that is doing that, it is Linux processes. There is really not much to do about that situation, because Linux is managing memory mostly at its own discretion. Nothing to worry about.

Hmm, Ok. Thank you!

Is there another way to fix this without to set the thresold to 90%?

It seems like the file gets bigger and bigger every day until the machine is restarted.

Plesk RAM und SWAP 04.PNG

And you are 100% sure that to change the thresold is the best fix/solution for this?

Thank you again! :)

No, not 100% sure. But with such a small swap and RAM the behavior is not really unusual. There have been other users here and on other forums who expericence similar scenarios, so very likely things will be alright.

Ok, thank you!

I hope there will not be other issues.
I've set the threshold from 80% to 92%.

If its not enough and I have to do more steps, I'm thankful for informations! :)

I wish a good week!

See also "Similar threads" below. Linux swaps out parts of programs that haven't been used in a while in favor of having more cache which is actively used, so there is an overall benefit for the system's speed. You only need to worry if swap (Frei) and RAM (Verfügbar/available) are low.

Back