• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Greylisting is broken

C

charliem

I recently upgraded to 9.5.1 on Centos64. I upgraded because I was previously assured that when this update appeared it would fix the issues with postfix queue timeing out on large attachment (not even that large (4mbish)). I am not really surprised that this issue is not fixed as I am used to this kind of thing from Parallels, but, a bigger one has been introduced which is really causing us a problem, this new issue did not exist in 9.3 so I have upgraded into a new problem!..

If greylisting is enabled then email from one domain hosted on the server cannot be delivered to another domain hosted on the server. It seems that the server it self is not reacting correctly to it's own greylisting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that words that something hasn't been fixed in the new version should be confirmed with concrete examples and proofs. Only so I can pass it to developer. Now its only words.

Well, I notice that you have chosen not to publish my response to this unbelievable reply. That is a real shame, I really don't want to do 70 Panel installs but I can't think what else I should do after publicly call me a liar and don't publish my reasonable response.

Thanks for damaging my business with your empty promises that you will fix this issue. Clearly you do not care. Now can we get on with the greylisting issue which is clearly the main point of my OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no business conversation, only emotion. It is very pity.

I switched back to qmail about 3 upgrads ago. I think that postfix is much better product, but if it's 'broken' since 3 upgrades ago I'll just stick with qmail until I stop seeing these types of responses. I also am not willing to produce examples as I already have with a previous post and not willing to compromise my customer satisfaction to resolve this at this time.

-Matt D

Once again - we can't check it and help you without steps to reproducing, error logs, detailed info from your side.
You can say many times that it doesn't work for you, but it will not help you without detailed information for the further investigation.

This is astonishing. I have asked you once about the issue with greylisting, not "many" times. You asked me to "prove it" in a somewhat defensive manor. I asked you how I should prove it in a perfectly reasonable way but you chose not to publish my response. I commented on your failure to publish my response and yes, in that post there was some anger in the tone of the post but reasonable, I think, given the circumstances.

Your responce to that is...

Once again - we can't check it and help you without steps to reproducing, error logs, detailed info from your side.
You can say many times that it doesn't work for you, but it will not help you without detailed information for the further investigation.

you say "once again". Again what? this is the first time you have given me any indication of what constitutes "proof" after I quite reasonably asked you to elaborate on your request several days ago when it was made (the question you choose not to publish).

Steps to reproducing is a bit tricky. You'd have to have a mail account set up on my server and try to send an email to a domain also hosted on my server. I am actually quite happy to facilitate this but how? Do you have a spare domain I can set up on my server for you? I could set you up an email address on my domain but then the only domains you could send messages to, in order to reproduce the problem, would be one of my customers, I don't think that's a good idea.

What error logs would you like?

How should I send them to you? (I'm obviously not going to publish them on a forum)

"Detailed info from your side" Kind of ironic that you ask for detailed information in this way. What detailed information would you like? Please provide detailed information on the detailed information you would like ; )

I actually think your handling of this is "emotional" and defensive, I have asked a perfectly reasonable question and you have chosen to be argumentative, defensive and not at all helpful, concentrating on the the time out issue when clearly my main issue was the greylisting problem I am experiencing. I learned to live with the timeout a long time ago and have not passed your promise of a fix on to my customers as I realised there was at least some chance it would not be fixed. Also, while I mention the timeout issue in my OP it is being discussed in another thread and we are waiting for cooperation from Parallels to get that fixed but lets leave it in the other thread for now and look at the greylisting issue I have asked you for help with, which is the title of the thread and which my OP makes completely clear is the issue I am requesting help with.

I do realise that this release must be making you life very difficult Igor, given the number of issues and the failure to fix several bugs which it was promised would be fixed (see all the other threads in this forum section) plus all the new bugs that have been introduced but you represent the provider, I am the customer, I think you should put your emotional response to one side and deal with this in a more professional manor and at least try to help me.

Thanks

I switched back to qmail about 3 upgrads ago. I think that postfix is much better product, but if it's 'broken' since 3 upgrades ago I'll just stick with qmail until I stop seeing these types of responses. I also am not willing to produce examples as I already have with a previous post and not willing to compromise my customer satisfaction to resolve this at this time.

-Matt D

Perhaps you can help me since Igor seems unwilling to even read my original post properly and see that my main issue is the greylisting (only reason for mentioning postfix issue was to explain why I upgraded).

It is a "very Pity" that Igor has a defensive attitude towards plesk as it means it is very difficult to get any answers. Actually I think it is he who has responded emotionally and I think it is Paralells who appear to be dishonest and underhand here so it is an "even more pity" that he chose the language he did and asked for "proof". I don't know why I would make this up?

Part of me thinks this is a language thing but then I didn't put a man in charge of an English forum for whom English in not their first language, and where he says, "right now it's only words", this makes me think he really does mean that I should prove it rather than provide information about it? I just don't know if he really means that I am making it up or not, it's a sorry state of affairs really.

He has also refused to publish my replies where I have provided as much information as I possibly can and requested further clarification as to what he wants from me.

I used Qmail but in 9.2 they screwed that up and relay was not working. Is this now fixed? If I install Qmail will my customers be able to use message forwarding? Does greylisting work in Qmail with 9.5.1?

thanks

Guys,

There are two steps for reporting all mail related problems in Plesk:

- first of all you should try to rebuild mailsettings with mchk utility:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

- if it not help with your problem you should find problem related errors in main Plesk maillog /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog and post these errors here with short and detailed description of problem.

After that I can forward it to developers for the further investigation. This procedure has been described at forum many times, and I thought all know it. I am sorry that I haven't described it at once for you.

ADDITIONALY.

Last edited:
Guys,

There are two steps for reporting all mail related problems in Plesk:

- first of all you should try to rebuild mailsettings with mchk utility:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

- if it not help with your problem you should find problem related errors in main Plesk maillog /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog and post these errors here with short and detailed description of problem.

After that I can forward it to developers for the further investigation. This procedure has been described at forum many times, and I thought all know it. I am sorry that I haven't described it at once for you.

ADDITIONALY.

Unfortunately Igor,

Since it took you 6 days to cooperate on this issue and describe properly what you wanted from me I have started the process of having Cpanel installed on all our servers now. I didn't want to but Plesk is now unusable. You can't really release buggy software, charge for proper support, respond in the way you have to the forum based support and still expect people to use your software.

Sorry!

Goodbye!

I'd like to add, for the benefit of others, that this has now been accepted as a bug in another thread and is "being looked into". Same as the Queuefile write error has been "being looked into" for months now with no fix and 3 upgrades later.

Back