• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Horde log file not created, stopping fail2ban jail to start

TomBoB

Regular Pleskian
TITLE:
Horde log file not created, stopping fail2ban jail to start
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #38; on ‪CentOS Linux 7.6.1810 (Core)‬
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
newly installed system with only roundcube. Horde added using updates & upgrades. Fail2ban added using updates & upgrades.
Turning on fail2ban jail for Horde produces error:
"
Unable to switch on the selected jails: f2bmng failed: ERROR No file(s) found for glob /var/log/psa-horde/psa-horde.log
ERROR Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for plesk-horde jail
ERROR:__main__:Command '['/usr/bin/fail2ban-client', 'reload', 'plesk-horde']' returned non-zero exit status 255
ERROR:__main__:Failed to reload following jails due to errors in configuration: plesk-horde.
"​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
on new system, load horde, load fail2ban, enable fail2ban jail for horde.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
error message
Unable to switch on the selected jails: f2bmng failed: ERROR No file(s) found for glob /var/log/psa-horde/psa-horde.log
ERROR Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for plesk-horde jail
ERROR:__main__:Command '['/usr/bin/fail2ban-client', 'reload', 'plesk-horde']' returned non-zero exit status 255
ERROR:__main__:Failed to reload following jails due to errors in configuration: plesk-horde.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
jail enables​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
problem solved by manually creating the psa-horde folder and a blank psa-horde.log file within
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Hi Igor,

thanks for your answer. However it is the other way around.
the article states:
Cause
A jail of the component that is not installed on the server is enabled in the Fail2Ban configuration file.
which is not correct in my case stated above. In my case stated above Horde *is* installed, with fail2ban installed afterwards. (It just hasn't been used yet by any customer/client as it is a new server setup). Enabling the jail still fails.
As I found out this is due to the missing log file. Which apparently isn't created (even a blank one) when Horde is installed in the first place. [Maybe the log file is only created the first time a client actually logs in / starts using Horde?]
Maybe your devs can incorporate the creation of a blank Horde log file as soon as Horde gets installed. :)

Last edited:
Ok. Thank you. I forwarded it to developers. Let's wait for their decision.

From developer:

Did not reproduce on Centos 7.5. Followed the STR, but jail was enabled successfully:

2019-02-18 15:37:22,047 fail2ban.transmitter [3753]: WARNING Command ['stop', 'plesk-horde'] has failed. Received UnknownJailException('plesk-horde',)
2019-02-18 15:37:22,049 fail2ban.server [3753]: INFO Changed logging target to /var/log/fail2ban.log for Fail2ban v0.9.6
2019-02-18 15:37:22,051 fail2ban.jail [3753]: INFO Creating new jail 'plesk-horde'
2019-02-18 15:37:22,156 fail2ban.jail [3753]: INFO Jail 'plesk-horde' uses pyinotify
2019-02-18 15:37:22,198 fail2ban.jail [3753]: INFO Initiated 'pyinotify' backend
2019-02-18 15:37:22,202 fail2ban.filter [3753]: INFO Added logfile = /var/log/psa-horde/psa-horde.log

Ordered a new cloud server a few days ago from InternetX with Plesk Webhost preloaded. It came with version 17.8.11 Update #53 .
Had the same issue. Could it be the image they are using to create the instance?

I've just had the same issue, I think:

fail2ban-client -x start
2023-01-14 19:54:36,377 fail2ban [3292]: ERROR Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for plesk-horde jail

Plesk Obsidian Web Admin Edition 18.0.49 Update #2
OS Debian 11.6

I've fixed the issue by removing from jail.local:
"[plesk-horde]
enabled = true"

I don't have Horde installed.

@Frostbolt If you do not have horde, instead of removing the entry from jail.local a possibly better solution could be to deactive the Horde jail in IP Address Banning (Fail2Ban) in Plesk. Late, should you ever use Horde, you can reactivate it there and won't need to edit files directly.

@Frostbolt If you do not have horde, instead of removing the entry from jail.local a possibly better solution could be to deactive the Horde jail in IP Address Banning (Fail2Ban) in Plesk. Late, should you ever use Horde, you can reactivate it there and won't need to edit files directly.
Yeah, well the problem was it didn't show up there... :( It wasn't in the list of jails.

Back