• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I install a smtp mail server

J

jasperlevink

Hello folks!

I'm very very new to plesk and server management.

How do I check wheter a smtp mail server is installed on my dedicated server? How do I install (and which do I have to install) a smtp mail server? and how do I keep the server secure?

Thanks.
Jasper

try a telnet to your server on port 25

telnet host 25

you got a response?

You're right. But it doesn't seem te be enabled:
http://www.jasperlevink.nl/plesk03.gif

on the left there is a green button, but on the right only grey ones.

Problem is that the PHP mail() function doesn't work! so I presumed the smtp server wouldn't be installed or configured well.

Grtz.

The green icon on the left indicates that the SMTP server is running, having grey icons on the right is 'normal' on some VPS/VDS setups.

There have been a number of recent posts about php's mail() / sendmail not working. Many times this may be due to open_basedir restrictions, some have posted they had to change the sendmail path from /usr/sbin/sendmail to /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject

Have you set your error logging up and checked what errors are returned when trying to execute a mail() function?

Not being able to telnet to port 25 is also not good. Coupled with the control panel indicating that it is running (green icon) makes it strange as well. The question then is: can you receive and send email through clients such as Outlook/Thunderbird? If you can, then the email system is working and it just becomes an issue with PHP.

Back