• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I restore a single domain from backup zip?

M

mikelegg

Can someone please tell me in plain English how to restore a single domain from the backup zip archive on my remote (FTP) server?

I've tried to read the doco here http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.2-backup-cli-guide/ but I can't work out exactly what it means.

I've sort of pieced together that I have to make an xml file that defines the data I want, then there seems to be a text file that names the domain and I pass them as parameters to the pleskrestore.exe utility.

It's all very unclear.

What exactly the problem with this sample from documentation?

pleskrestore --restore <backup repository root>/<server>.xml -level domains -filter list:example.com

pleskrestore --restore <backup repository root>/<server>.xml -level domains -filter list:example.com

My backup files are on a remote FTP server, not the local web server. How do I tell the progam where to find the zip file?

Once I stopped trying to read the documentation and went straight to the commands and options summary, I was able to work out that was the command options to use.

Unfortunately, it returned the error - "Unable to read file 'server_datetime.zip'" which makes sense because the zip file isn't on the local server it's on a remote FTP server.

From what I can gather so far, the ACTUAL steps that need to be taken to restore a single domain from a remote FTP Plesk backup are:

1. Copy the backup zip back to the Plesk server. If the file is large, don't bother trying to use the Plesk backup manager to do it - it doesn't work. Instead, install an FTP client and copy the file manually.

2. Open a CMD prompt and navigate to C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\bin (or whereever your Plesk bin folder is located)

3. Execute the following command - pleskrestore --restore "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\Backup\yourbackupfile.zip" -level domains -filter list:yourdomain.com

The quotes around the restore path are only required if any of the folder names have spaces in them such as "Program Files"

As I type this, I have executed the above command but all that has happened is that the command prompt has frozen.

I can see in task manager that pleskrestore.exe is in memory but it is using 0% of CPU resources, so I don't know what it's doing, but what I can say for sure is that the domain has NOT been restored.

I'll give it some time and post the results.

Any comments from people who have been able to get this to work are welcome.

3. Execute the following command - pleskrestore --restore "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\Backup\yourbackupfile.zip" -level domains -filter list:yourdomain.com

Do you have any output of this command?

I'll try it again and see what happens.

What should I expect to see at the command prompt?

Back