• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to restore large backup (5G)

Servus

Basic Pleskian
Hi Plesk friends,
yesterday I changed my server. Now I wanted to restore one full backup backup_info_123456.xml.tar of 1 subscription/webspace.
But the file is too big (only files less that maximum of 2 gigabyte can be restored).
The most important element is to restore the database in one piece, which is compressed in an tgz of the whole backup tar archive.
Today I created "example.com" directory in /var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/(example.com) and uploaded the whole backup file to this location.
Now, the problem is: The uploaded backup file isn't recognized by PLESK backup manager.
So, it seems that I can't restore it by this easy way.

Please, do you know if it's possible that I can fix it, that backup manager will recognize the file. All other backups I restored with no problems!

Or, if it's not possible, what do you recommend me to do to restore the backup. Perhaps to extract it into its parts. But then would be the question how to restore the database file, because I already extracted it on my personal computer at home and realized that the database is a not a common .sql file, it has no file extention in its .tgz archive.

Last edited:
I have already restored backups up to 13 GB without problems ...

At the time the problem was in my / tmp directory which was quite small. See if that's your case too.

On the database, this is really a problem! I would like the format to be .sql but the Plesk developers' team does not think the same as me. You can manually upload this backup to any domain Plesk will recognize! =)

Step 1:
backup01.jpg

Step 2:
Upload your backup file to ANY of your subscriptions. It does not matter which one, just make sure that you own the subscription and have FTP access to it.

Step 3:
backup02.jpg

Step 4:
Tools & Settings > Backup Manager
This will now connect to your local server by FTP and display the backup file in the list. You can restore it from there.
When attempting a restore, remember to check the "Restore this backup despite the fact that it does not have a valid signature" checkbox
backup03.jpg

Hi @Peter Debik, Thanks @Émerson Felinto
thank you for your detailed help. I made it similar like you recommended, but not over the official Backup FTP Account. I uploaded it into httpdocs and moved (mv) it into the backup dump location. But first I built a trojan horse archive of another subscription backup with a wrong database, which is in real the database I needed.
I solved my problem a little more complicated, but in the end it worked.

The hardest way - I call it the "TROJAN HORSE". Horse is the dump file (backup archive) of another subscription, but with the original database in it:

I took another backup file of an quite simple site, but which has a small database in it. Then I extracted it on my computer. Same with the big original backup .tar of the subscription (with the original database dump I needed so much).
Then I copied the the original database.tgz file into the folder of the other (wrong) subscription and packed it as a new .tar archive, which is simply the same like it was before, but now with the database dump of the original other subscription, the big database.
I uploaded the self created backup .tar just like usual with backup manager of subscription. It was recognized and I restored only the database.
The original subscription dump could be uploaded via FTP into the httpdocs direction and website files extracted over cli.

Thanks to PLESK that nowadays everything works like a charm. That such things are possible.

Back