• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to access site before domain propagation

J

jbsarma

I know about the 'preview site' function from the PLESK admin panel before the domain is propagated. This does not always work as it leads the site already live with another host (as the domain change has not propagated yet) that I am trying to switch to my PLESK server.
I need to be able to preview the site I am working on my PLESK server before I action the domain propagation. So what will be the URL (I guess it will conatain the IP address followed by domain name?) to call to view the site that I am still building but domain propagation has not been actioned or not completed yet. I will really appreciate the help.

The site preview function should not be affected by the DNS pointing to the old IP.

Workarounds:

1. Give the site an exclusive IP, then you can browse to that IP address (many cannot give an exlusive IP)

2. Set your workstation's primary DNS server to your Plesk server's IP address. Then when your browser (Windows?) does the DNS lookup, it will query your Plesk server's DNS first, and since the domain is defined on the server, the 'new' site will be served up.
(You may have to restart Windows or at least clear the DNS cache 'ipconfig /flushdns')

We usually do #2, or instruct the client in how to do it and it works quite well.

We did solution #2 for a while as well.. but after a while some customers didnt remove our DNS server. Therefor we now advise users to adjust there own host file.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # bronserver
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x clienthost

12.12.12.12 customerdomain.com
127.0.0.1 localhost

In example above 12.12.12.12 is the server IP and customerdomain.com is the domain.

I exactly followed the instruction and when I call the domain URL (already defined in the plesk server) it mapped to the default folder in vhosts folder but not to the specific domain folder that I am trying to view.

Any suggestion.

Hmmm..
There should be an extra line in the hosts config file.
only then for the "subdomain" www.

example

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # bronserver
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x clienthost

12.12.12.12 customerdomain.com
12.12.12.12 www.customerdomain.com

127.0.0.1 localhost

I'm getting mixed results when editing the hosts file in XP (SP2).

Even if I close all browser windows and flush the dns cache, sometimes the changes are not applied.

What's the correct procedure for doing this?

Thanks,
Rolo

I'm not sure about Ultraedit 11.10b but never use Notepad for this. It really screws things up by inserting unwanted characters and line breaks. I personally use pico or vi to edit/create files from the command line. One good editor would be CuteHTML if you're creating the files on your pc and uploading.

Originally posted by phoenixisp
I'm not sure about Ultraedit 11.10b but never use Notepad for this. It really screws things up by inserting unwanted characters and line breaks. I personally use pico or vi to edit/create files from the command line. One good editor would be CuteHTML if you're creating the files on your pc and uploading.
Ultraedit is really cool in that sense. It won't add any extra stuff (and if you want to, it allows you to convert line endings between win/unix/mac).

As far as the "creating the files on your pc and uploading" I think we are on another page here. I was talking about the local c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in my computer.

Back