• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to buy Plesk PowerPack add-on?

JONEBARKER

New Pleskian
I have a cloud server with 1and1.com running Plesk 11. I can't find a link anywhere to buy the powerpack. I always end up the the screen to purchase Plesk Panel. How do I simply buy a license key for the add-on?

I spoke to 1and1 and here is their reply:

"How can I get Plesk PowerPack for Contract #41267480?"

We only sell the plesk base license so any add ons need to be purchased from parallels.

PowerPack is a special kind of addon and cannot be bought separately from base license. From whoever else you would buy PowerPack, it will include another base license, making your original base license unnecessary any longer.

Ok I understand, but please look at it from customer perspective. Evidently you don't provide this type of license to 1and1 anymore. Its already a stretch to pay extra $$ to remotely control the server I'm paying for. What can be done to avoid paying another $40/mo for a license I already have just to be eligible for powerpack?

Selling (or not selling) this type of license would be 100% a choice of a provider. You could buy it from another provider or from Parallels directly. A list of all providers is available at parallels.com.

From technology perspective Powerpack is not simply "addon", but it is a full function license, just different type of it. If your provider offered Powerpack, they could simply convert your license into a license of this kind. But neither other providers nor Parallels can do that.

You could either convince your provider to convert the license, or you could obtain a new license from another provider and cancel the original one. I understand it doesn't sound nice to you, but that is how it works.

Regards

Terrible customer service from Parallels. I wonder if your upper management sits down some times and thinks things through.

I do understand why you are annoyed Oskar, but really the problem is with 1and1 for not offering you the choice.

Sergey is trying to explain that it isn't just a simple key upgrade that might enable or expand something that's already installed. There are some fundamental differences between this and, say, a key enabling one of the anti-virus offerings for more accounts.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect one of the biggest issues preventing PowerPack being offered as an add-on might be to do with support. If you could buy the PowerPack as an upgrade to a key provided by someone else, who would provide support if something went wrong? You might say that if the problem was with an element of the PowerPack it should be Parallels, and if it was with something else, it should be 1and1. But it isn't as simple as that, as the failure with one may be the result of a failure with the other. And what if you make a mistake during installation, and kill Plesk in the process. Should Parallels provide support in that case? Yes, maybe, but what if the installation problem was caused by the particular way Plesk was installed by 1and1 in the first place? Or some sort of unusual security or setup decision used by 1and1? Is it still Parallels who should provide the support?

But again I emphasise that I understand why you are annoyed. I am sure others are in the same situation as you are. Maybe some pressure could be applied on 1and1 to offer the upgrade? Or maybe Parallels could consider creating a special class of key with certain special conditions imposed, such as the customer having to pay for per-incident support is something went wrong panel-wide? Hmnm... maybe not-- too many things to go wrong or misunderstand. But even so, maybe this key upgrade issue could be something Parallels might concider for the future?

Thank you Faris, your explanation of the problem is quite correct. But even if we would ignore all possible responsibility/support problems, PowerPack simply cannot act as an add-on. It is the same as you can choose among many options buying a car, but once bought you will probably not be able to ask for a bigger engine.

The problem with inability to purchase PowerPack from different vendor is recognized, but there is no short-term solution possible except of terminate current license and purchase PowerPack from another vendor.

Back