• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue How to fix 400 Bad Request - Size of a request header field exceeds server limit

Organizer

New Pleskian
Version 18.0.27 Update #1 / Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

I have been running RSS server scripts for some time without issues. I often have a page or two up relating to the script that I come back to and can refresh just fine. however lately when go back to such an open open tab in Chrome and refresh I get this error:

Bad Request​

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
Apache Server at default-x_x_x_x Port 443

After some searching I updated the domains Apache & nginx Settings and Additional directives for HTTP + for HTTPS:
LimitRequestLine 16380
LimitRequestFieldSize 16380

However this did not resolve the issue, so I am now rather confused on the next steps. I can sometimes bypass the issue by simply visiting the Plesk logon page and then go back to refresh strange enough. Anyone got some tips?

Chris

Please apply the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Backup the Apache configuration file:

# cp -a /etc/apache2/apache2.conf /root/apache2.conf.backup

2. Add the following line to the Apache configuration file:

LimitRequestFieldSize 16000

3. Restart apache2 service with the command:

# systemctl restart apache2

In case the issue persists, please double the value from 16000 to 32000 and restart apache2 service.

Thanks will try it out: might takes a day or more to see if it works though as the error is far apart. That aside, is this not what those Additional directives are supposed to do? I was thinking to go up to 32000, it might of course be that the error consisted due to 16k also not being enough in my case.

My suggestion is server-wide, but in Additional directives you apply settings only for one domain.

Back