• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to fix Dirty Cow vulnerability in Plesk?

Dan Hammer

New Pleskian
I ran a test and discovered my Plesk system is vulnerable to Dirty Cow. What is the proper procedure to update Plesk to fix this issue? I have web admin and command line (root) access. The server runs CentOS 7 and Plesk 12.5

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dan Hammer,

pls. be aware, that Plesk is not shipped with any kernel for your operating system. Conisder to update/upgrade your operating system by using your package manager "yum" on CentOS/RHEL - based systems.

Should I do "yum update" or "yum update kernel"? I tested both methods on a couple of VPS systems. Obviously "yum update kernel" touches far fewer files. Just trying to avoid any negative impact on Plesk.

Hi Dan Hammer,

pls. be informed that updating your operating system with "yum update" ( by using ONLY official repositories! ), is a "system administrator task" and should be done on a regular basis, to keep your system up-to-date. Plesk works together with an outdated, supported operating system and with an up-to-date, supported operating system. Just make sure, that you meet the Plesk requirements, documented at:

Thank you for your help. I am relatively new to Plesk and I am just overly cautious right now. I don't want to accidentally replace a critical file that causes Plesk to stop working. Until I get more comfortable with the system I will proceed carefully.

Back