• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

How to Fix Plesk MySQL Connection Issues

J.Wick

Regular Pleskian
I am having a hell of a time trying to solve why Plesk can't connect to MySQL when shutting down, starting up, and when trying to upgrade. Without being able to fix this, I can't upgrade my server. I've tried everything in the knowledge base and can't figure this out. I've reset the password, nothing works. I need a expert! $5.00 PayPal'd to the magician that solves the problem and title of, "AMAZING."

Centos 5.9
11.0.9 Update #55

[root@vcloud]# rpm -qa mysql*
mysqltuner-1.2.0-4.el5.art
mysql-devel-5.5.33-20.el5.art
mysql-5.5.33-20.el5.art
mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.26r1127-2.el5
mysqlclient15-5.0.90-2.el5.art
mysql-libs-5.5.33-20.el5.art
mysql-server-5.5.33-20.el5.art

When upgrading I get the failed key message because it can't connect to the database, so I tried it manually, same result. It passes if I turn on skip-grant-tables, but the upgrade won't proceed on that setting.
[root@vcloud]# ./plesk_getkeyinfo.sh
cannot connect to mysql database

Even basic operation of pulling up and down the server I get an error on MySQL

[root@vcloud]# /etc/init.d/psa stopall
Stopping psa... done
Trying to connect to MySQL... Failed to connect to MySQL: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Plesk: Stopping Mail Server... done
Stopping mailer service... not installed
Stopping mysqld service... done
Stopping postgresql service... done
Stopping psa-spamassassin service... not installed
Stopping tomcat5 service... done
Stopping httpd service... done

[root@vcloud]# /etc/init.d/psa start
Starting xinetd service... done
Starting mysqld service... done
Trying to connect to MySQL... Failed to connect to MySQL: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Refusing to reset instance-specific data.
Starting named service... done
Starting postgresql service... done
Starting psa-spamassassin service... not installed
Plesk: Starting Mail Server... done
Starting psa... done

I can control MySQL without issue form the CLI.

[root@vcloud]# /etc/init.d/mysqld restart
Stopping mysqld: [ OK ]
Starting mysqld: [ OK ]

I can login and use Plesk fine. I have ripped out the Business Manager and Billing. I just have Plesk barebones installed right now and it's working fine otherwise.

I have checked through the mysql.users table and have removed old users that don't use 41+ char passwords, no difference.

The only thing I can think of, is some Plesk script or file is corrupt that interfaces with MySQL.

Can someone please give me the magic answer to solve this nightmare? PLEASE! I BEG YOU! HAVE MERCY ON MEEEEE!!

What is content? Have you tried to remove this file?

What is content? Have you tried to remove this file?

I was not aware of this file.

Inside it has directives for MySQL MySQLdump and MySQLcheck, each specifying the username 'admin' and same password for each.

I just removed the file and everything is working properly now. Thank YOU!!

How did that file get there in the first place? I can't believe that was the cause.

It's just from my experience. Often this file leads to unpredictable consequences.

Back