• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to import from cPanel to Plesk?

Nathan Platt

New Pleskian
I'm migrating a customer from cPanel to Plesk and was wondering if there was instructions on how to do it? I can do the domain/databases but how do you do the mail?

I don't have root access to the other sever so i have to do it manually.

When i use the migrator i get the following error;

Failed to perform action: Fetch data from source cPanel
Cause: Command execution failed on the local server with non-zero exit code.
command: rsync -l --chmod=Fu=rw,go=,Du=rwx,go= -e 'ssh -i /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20161230204856/ssh-keys/id_rsa.91.206.183.18 -p 22 -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o GSSAPIAuthentication=no' /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20161230204856/ssh_upload.1 username@thereipaddress:/tmp/version
exit code: 255
stdout:
stderr: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]

That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

This is due to the customer being on shared hosting and not having root access. I can import the website and databases myself but importing email is where i'm stuck. I've read through the instruction for the migration tool, but my understanding is that if you don't have root its useless.

Nathan

But you should use root account for migration from cPanel to Plesk.

I have the same question as the OP. A lot of people/businesses that use cPanel do so on a "Shared Hosting" server. As a result the hosting companies do not provide "root" access for the accounts. So how can we "Migrate" a cPanel user account that is on a "Shared Hosting" server without "root" access?

Only with this method - Web Site Migration
Thank you for that however it would appear that method is only for Wordpress installations.
Use the Web Site Migration feature to migrate WordPress installations, folders with files, and databases.
If that is the case, what about sites like that use Joomla and Drupal?
If that is not the case then I suggest the documentation be updated to reflect that it is also for other CMS's.

Last edited:
This method is not related strictly to any CMS, you can use it for any website.

This method is not related strictly to any CMS, you can use it for any website.

I gave this method a try but it didn't work. I used the login which has access to the root level of my account "/" (notice: this is not server root access) and all of my domains are located under "/public_html". The error message I received after 2 days was this:

Getting information

Unable to locate the document root directory of the website.
Possible reasons:
1. The FTP user only has access to a directory inside the document root.
For example, you cannot migrate the website Example Domain if the FTP user only has access to a subdirectory of the website, e.g. http://example.com/blog.
To resolve the issue, make sure that the FTP user has access to the document root of the website.
2. The document root of the website is located more than three levels deep relative to the FTP root directory.
For example, you cannot migrate the website Example Domain if its document root directory is /var/www/vhosts/my/sites/example.com/httpdocs and the FTP user root is in /var/www/.
3. There are rewrite rules for the document root (for example, specified by mod_rewrite and the .htaccess file).
To resolve the issue, temporarily disable the rewrite rules.

Any idea why this did not work? I was hoping it would locate all of my domains and allow me to import them.
Do I need to use an FTP account for each individual domain so that the migration tool doesn't get confused and only has access to the root of the domain?

Hello!
As far as I understand, you have client account in cPanel with number of domains and you`ve entered main ftp account(main ftp account with access to all files in your web hosting) on configuration page of site migration? Am I right?
If I`m right, please, give me traces (and several strings around traces) from debug.log placed in %plesk_dir%/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/site-migration-<domain_id>/

Hello!
As far as I understand, you have client account in cPanel with number of domains and you`ve entered main ftp account(main ftp account with access to all files in your web hosting) on configuration page of site migration? Am I right?
If I`m right, please, give me traces (and several strings around traces) from debug.log placed in %plesk_dir%/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/site-migration-<domain_id>/

Thank you for the reply. I had opened a ticket for this to be looked at and the most recent response is this:
I have conducted the investigation of the issue and found that there is a problem with the operation of the import website component indeed.
I have already informed our developers about this issue.
The bug with ID PPS-712 was created for further resolving of the issue.

Back