• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to make copy of emails send over SMTP to the IMAP Sent folder

Mike99

Basic Pleskian
I have a WordPress e-shop sending orders over SMTP on my Plesk server. Everything works fine, but I would like to keep those copies in the send IMAP folder. Now they are successful sent, but not saved.

Can anybody advise on Plesk or Dovecot settings to get this working?

Thank you.

Hi @Mike99,
are you sure the fact email are not saved on sent folder is a fault of Plesk and not of the plugin or the application you are using?

For example I now that an helpdesk system I use actually never save sent email in the sent folder. The issue is caused by the helpdesk software not from my control panel.

I'm just asking if you are sure is not a fault of the web script you are using.

Hi @Mike99,
are you sure the fact email are not saved on sent folder is a fault of Plesk and not of the plugin or the application you are using?

For example I now that an helpdesk system I use actually never save sent email in the sent folder. The issue is caused by the helpdesk software not from my control panel.

I'm just asking if you are sure is not a fault of the web script you are using.
Hi PeopleInside,

I am looking for a way to do it, I am not blaming Plesk or Dovecot, I am not sure what part of my text are indicating blame, SMTP itself is not supposed to save any copies, so I am sure Plesk and Dovecot are doing everything right.

I am looking for an advice how to save these copies, I am sure many other Plesk users would benefit from such instructions because sometimes you want to save an exact unchanged copy without forwarding/CC/BCC that makes changes to the headers when you want to make sure you have a proof of email being sent.

I hope this will make my question more clear, please don't feel to respond if you don't have an answer to the original question.

I am looking for a way to do it, I am not blaming Plesk or Dovecot, I am not sure what part of my text are indicating blame, SMTP itself is not supposed to save any copies, so I am sure Plesk and Dovecot are doing everything right.

@Mike99 I'm new about Plesk (I used many years ago) and this forum. I suppose post a topic on Plesk Obsidian for Linux section is abut talking about something who depends by Plesk.

I hope this will make my question more clear, please don't feel to respond if you don't have an answer to the original question.
I find curios "you pretend" to not reply to your topic if is not an specific answer on how resolve your issue, that looks to me to be not related to Plesk or to the control panel, when you post in a Plesk forum and in the section about Plesk for Linux, not maybe an off-topic section. Maybe for questions not related to plesk there is the right section: Open Topics

Anyway my suggestion is to ask on Wordpress forum.
For example look this topics:
Storing outbound emails in “sent” folder on server

I use Plesk as a mail server, I don't have access and don't care about the WordPress, it is on Godaddy with an agency and client will be moving to Shopify soon, who cares about the shop, Plesk takes care of e-mails now.

Please answer this questions if you know how to copy sent emails to a specific folders on the Plesk server, from where the actual emails are sent. I tried looking into postfix manuals and dovecot, but not straight forward solution to make it work like with Google Workspace, that all emails using SMTP end up in the Sent folder.

Mike, last message from here here as I don't wanna disturb.
If you use a mail client or in your case a web application I think is the mail client or the web application that tell to the server what to do with an email.

For example:
Mail client: you delete an email, is the email client that tell to the server to move this email in the trash or to a different folder or delete permanently. No client email delete usually an email permanently if is not in the trash.
I don't think you can create a rule in the server where you told to ignore what the email client say and keep email managed in different way.

The same thing happen with a web app.
If the web app never told to the server to save the email in the sent folder, I don't think you can set somewhere in the server to ignore what the web app tell and save the email in the sent folder.

You can maybe resolve contacting the software or the web app developer you are using.

End of my suggestion, now hope someone of maybe the Plesk team can reply to you.

I want just help you, take as point of view mine, I hope can help you and maybe also a Plesk member team while reply to you.

Have a nice day and week.

There is the postfix main.cf option always_bcc, but that would add a Bcc: to every mail which is probably a bit much.

I agree with Mike; send emails should be stored on the server in the same way like you receive an email. So you can view send emails on any device and not just the device it was send on... I have always been annoyed by this to be honest.

The Easy WP SMTP plugin has an option to send a copy of each mail using BCC:

So how does that help with Plesk itself?! I do not use WordPress.

The TS is using WordPress.

This is not a Plesk issue; it's an application issue. The form or whatever method is used to send emails should use the BCC field.

Email send from any email client should be stored on the server. Same as with incoming emails.

But you are right incorrect thread.

Back