• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to make plesk use Python 3 for fail2ban?

itsTyrion

New Pleskian
Dear Staff team/fellow users,

is it possible to start fail2ban using python3?
Python 2.x has reached EOL a full year ago.
I know that fail2ban supports Python 3.2+, but I can't find a setting to use that

fail2ban/fail2ban is where you need to deposit that request. (Plesk does not write this piece of software)
But according to Migrate to python3 · Issue #2690 · fail2ban/fail2ban it's not planned to migrate fail2ban to python3 anyway, at least not in the foreseeable future
That's just not true.
1610455938392.png
1610456007357.png1610456025221.png
As seen in the screenshots, it's running on Python 3.9.1;
The question was not "Does it work with Python 3?", but "How do I tell Plesk that it should not use a Python version that is 1 year EOL?" (Title edited to make it fully clear)

Even if that is the case, you are still in the wrong place here.
The fail2ban package is provided by your OS vendor and if this one does use python2, then you need to talk to CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian or whatever you are using.

If you are bold, you can try to change the shebang line in the file /usr/bin/fail2ban-server yourself (from #!/usr/bin/python2 to #!/usr/bin/python3) and see what happens
Of course this will be without any support from either Plesk nor your OS vendor and whenever there will be an update for the fail2ban package, this file and with it the shebang line, will get overwritten.

Back