• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to make recovery from backups faster

Mike99

Basic Pleskian
Hi, in the past few weeks, I had three different attempts to recover stuff using the default Plesk Backup & Restore tool, all three have failed for different reasons, I had to download the whole backup file from FTP and restore stuff manually.

Turning off incremental backups did not help me, restoration from my backup takes too long. It takes hours on NVMe disk and FTP storage on the same network, the hardware is not the problem. backup is the only 100G, but still Plesk hast to download the whole thing, It does not matter if it's incremental or full, those are big files, because of using .tar.

Can I turn off using tar? So Plesk can store backup files directly into files and folders? I checked Do not compress backup files in Backup settings, but it probably only disabled compression inside the archive, Plesk still tires to fit all files into one file, it is so ineffective, that restoring one single table from backup takes a huge amount of resources, traffic and time.

Any ideas on how to fix this manually? Anyone has scripts on backing up Plesk databases with passwords and everything so I don't have to use their default tool? Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

I feel your need..
I was thinking about something different but having the same "issue"

Lets assume we do have these Domains and subscruptions:

- domain1.tld
--- sub1.domain1.tld
--- sub2.domain1.tld
--- sub3.domain1.tld
--- sub4.domain1.tld
--- sub5.domain1.tld
- domain2.tld
- domain3.tld
- domain4.tld
--- sub1.domain4.tld
--- sub2.domain4.tld
--- sub3.domain4.tld

All the Domains (and subdomains) does belong to a different client.
So if one of them want to restore something the whole package have to be downloaded ..

I would love to have the option to set up unlimited Backup options.

Like:

- every 6 hours I want to backup (FTP & DB) domain1.tld and its subdomains to a different onlinespace then the others.
- once a day I want to backup (FTP & DB) from all the Rest of the Domains (excluding the one already being backed up) to the standard onlinespace (SFTP) which is different from the first one.

But I also would love to decide if I want to backup FTP of DB, or both!
If you have a big application which a DB which is critical you definitly want to save the DB much more frequently then the FTP as its does not change often.
Also If you then want to restore, having the abillity to restore just the DB is much faster then ALL the things..

- every hour backup the DB from sub5.domain1.tld and save it again to another space (maybe the client ones)

I think in things of Backup & Restore there is still something to do, and a lot of potential to get better.

Back