• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

How to set up email server, etc

Richieboydev

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

Basically I am trying to configure Plesk to send out email without being black listed. My emails are safe but I am currently blacklisted due to my set up.

I have Plesk 12.0.18 and am using Qmail. The problem is I have one ip address right now and am using it for multiple domains. This is not ideal but was an issue with 1and1 not rendering ips at the time. I am not sure how to do reverse mapping with multiple domains on a single ip address.

Because my current ip address just got black listed is it possible to get 2 more ip addresses just for email and use those 2 for 2 domains so each domain would have a separate ip address? How would I set this up to be email safe meeting the spam requirements? spf, reverse mapping, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

You need to resolve the problem of being blacklisted before you continue. What caused it? A spam outbreak? If that has been resolved then you can de-blacklist.

There is no problem with having just one IP.

Typically, in terms of DNS, the test that is done by receiving mailservers is simply "Does the IP have rDNS?". As long as it does then good and the IP is then checked against blacklists. It doesn't matter what the rDNS is. Just that it has rDNS.

Your SPF records should just say that mail is allowed from your single IP.

When using Postfix (not qmail), for each domain that has an Exclusive IP set up in Plesk you can configure things so that email comes from that Exclusive IP. But only for those domains.

If you get another IP you can configure it to be the "main" IP that all communications from the server come from, and as long as it isn't blacklisted you'll be OK.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Originally I say I had a spam rating at spamhuesen or what ever the name is and it was all because of dns, etc. That was before I upgraded my dedicated server though. At that time I had multiple ip addresses and each was reverse mapped. Because of the issue with 1and1 I ended up now with 1 ip address and I just noticed today that Gmail was blocking my email. This never happened before.

We only send emails to registered members and we have an unsubscribe link as well.

I believe the current ip address is blacklisted so I figured if I fixed everything and then switched to new ones we would be ok. I am really confused though about all the settings. For instance, how do I reverse map domains if they are all using a shared ip address?

Thanks

I am not sure what rdns is.. Right now I am using 1and1 name servers. And yes we use Postfix.

Back