• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to set up name servers

K

kyro_02

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie, but know my way around plesk/Virtuozzo.

I need help urgently I need to get 2 domains to work with my VPS.

I asked the person that registered the domains for me and he said that the ns1.nameserverhere.com doesn't work?

I have absolutly no idea what i'm doin in this part, but if someone able to tell me how to setup the dns and name servers so I can get them working with my accounts.

Thanks.

- I've also tried the video clips but didn't help much at all.

edit: - also, how do I get my website(s) to showup with an ip? "http://myiphere" doesn't work - what do I do?

---
PleskCP>my reseller account>friends website accounts

Do I have to enable DNS/NAME SERVER(s) on MY reseller account before the other accounts are able to get a domain pointed to their accounts?

So if I get ns1.butthead.com

They have to add ns1.butthead.com to their dns?

I don't get it!:mad:

if so: how do I go about adding dns server/dns to my reseller?

Disclaimer: since I am working pretty much in the blind (not knowing more details about your server/domain/setup, nor your friend's, I am only able to give general advice and instructions.

Originally posted by kyro_02
I'm a complete newbie, but know my way around plesk/Virtuozzo.
This statement and your questions below seem to conflict, sorry couldn't resist. No offense intended, just very tired and could not resist....resistance is futile!

I need help urgently I need to get 2 domains to work with my VPS.

I asked the person that registered the domains for me and he said that the ns1.nameserverhere.com doesn't work?
Assuming ns1.nameserverhere.com is your nameserver, which you do not have turned on (per your comment below), then you will have to turn on your server's DNS service so your DNS nameserver can respond to requests.

I have absolutly no idea what i'm doin in this part, but if someone able to tell me how to setup the dns and name servers so I can get them working with my accounts.

You could also register new name server ns1.yourfriendsdomain.com with your IP address, once this gets propagated, then you can use that as the name server(s) for his domain, again you will have to turn on your DNS service on your server.

Thanks.

- I've also tried the video clips but didn't help much at all.

edit: - also, how do I get my website(s) to showup with an ip? "http://myiphere" doesn't work - what do I do?
You will have to set his domain as the 'Default domain' for the IP address. Go into Server, IP Addresses. Click on the number (0 or 1) in the 'Hosting' column for your IP address. Select his domain and click on the link 'Set as Default'

---
PleskCP>my reseller account>friends website accounts

Do I have to enable DNS/NAME SERVER(s) on MY reseller account before the other accounts are able to get a domain pointed to their accounts?
Probably a good idea since you were informed that ns1.nameserverhere.com does not work (meaning doesn't respond to requests) and assuming that your nameserver was used when your friend's domain was created.

So if I get ns1.butthead.com

They have to add ns1.butthead.com to their dns?

Yes that is one option. The other option I outlined above, about registering a new nameserver using your IP address, but ns1.yourfriendsdomain.com

I don't get it!:mad:
Every domain has to have at least one valid nameserver associated with it. This would be a Primary DNS nameserver. This primary nameserver is responsible for accepting requests for that domain and responding with the appropriate IP address or other DNS record for that domain. These DNS requests are generated by (for example) the browser and OS (such as Windows) and are sent out to the DNS heirarchy on the internet. The request is routed (eventually) to the nameserver which is supposed to have the zone of authority for that domain (ie. the master record keeper for that domain). If that nameserver responds, then the IP address is sent back to the (Windows) browser and a connection is made to that IP address. The hosting server then receives the request for the domain name and processes it, and (hopefully) sends out the main index page for the domain (ie. Home page). Too tired to go on.

if so: how do I go about adding dns server/dns to my reseller?

You should contact your reseller to find out the appropriate procedure for their company.

Thanks for the reply...

just need to clear a few things up:

I made:

kyroworx.com - MASTER - non physical host
ns1.kyroworx.com 204.9.190.226
ns2.kyroworx.com 204.9.190.227
-------------
204.9.190.226 / 24 PTR kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. NS ns1.kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. NS ns2.kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. MX (10) mail.kyroworx.com.
ftp.kyroworx.com. CNAME kyroworx.com.
www.kyroworx.com . CNAME kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
mail.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
ns1.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
ns2.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.227
webmail.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
-------------

mpresv.com - physical host
-------------
204.9.190.226 / 24 PTR mpresv.com.
mpresv.com. NS ns1.kyroworx.com.
mpresv.com. NS ns2.kyroworx.com.
mpresv.com. MX (10) mail.mpresv.com.
ftp.mpresv.com. CNAME mpresv.com.
www.mpresv.com . CNAME mpresv.com.
mail.mpresv.com. A 204.9.190.226
mpresv.com. A 204.9.190.226
webmail.mpresv.com. A 204.9.190.226
-------------

Basicaly copied this image-layout - but with my own ip/domain etc.
http://download1.sw-soft.com/Plesk/...dmins-guide-html/images/dnsrecordaddition.gif

Will I encounter any problems?

EDIT:

Also, I set an account to default and isn't working yet.

Have you turned on your DNS service on the server (as you put it - your reseller account)? Yes, you need to do this!

Have you actually registered both your name servers (kyroworx.com) with the IP you posted???

Even just pinging, I get:

Pinging ns1.kyroworx.com [72.29.67.91]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 72.29.67.91 in 32ms [TTL=55]

Which is not the same IP you posted. Which means that your friend's domain DNS records are not being responded to by your IP of 204.9.190.226

Have a look at the dnsreport for his domain:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=mpresv.com

for now, don't worry about the 'Warnings', just look at the 'Failures'. The one about leaking 'Stealth NS' I have seen this when a DNS server is either not setup properly or not responding properly. In this case, both are true. Your Plesk server may have the right settings, but if you don't change the domain DNS pointers (normally done via the Registrar, or maybe in this case your reseller). This is the next thing you will need to check and correct, for BOTH domains.

The 2 Failures regarding 'Missing Nameservers' should resolve themselves once you take care of my point just above.

and yours:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=kyroworx.com
which has more errors, looks like it's possibly from you not having DNS service active on your account or server. This is the first thing to check and correct before anything else can happen.

Looks like your host is:

ns1.marliness.net. [204.8.180.41]

at least that's who is claiming to have primary responsibility for your domain. If this is not correct, then you will have to check into this....

Now really too tired...

ok, sorry what I mean't was i've got the VPS/VIRT/PLESK panels and i'm giving space with plesk to a clan.

I've e-mailed the guy that registered the domains and he is yet to get back to me.

also: I set those dns settings in each account... are you telling me I have to set it in virt>server>dns ?

If so, do I just use the same settings:

-------------
204.9.190.226 / 24 PTR kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. NS ns1.kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. NS ns2.kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. MX (10) mail.kyroworx.com.
ftp.kyroworx.com. CNAME kyroworx.com.
www.kyroworx.com . CNAME kyroworx.com.
kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
mail.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
ns1.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226
ns2.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.227
webmail.kyroworx.com. A 204.9.190.226

Thanks.

I think the first thing you need to check on is why your ns1.kyroworx.com is coming back with the IP of:

Blacklist Status: Clear
Record Type: IP Address
IP Location: United States United States - Florida - Orlando - Hostdime.com Inc
Reverse IP: No websites hosted using this IP address
Reverse DNS: 72-29-67-91.dimenoc.com

OrgName: HostDime.com, Inc.
OrgID: DIMEN-6
Address: 111 North Orange Ave
Address: Suite 1050
City: Orlando
StateProv: FL
PostalCode: 32801

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.dimenoc.com:4321

NetRange: 72.29.64.0 - 72.29.79.255
CIDR: 72.29.64.0/20
NetName: HOSTDIME-PI-1
NetHandle: NET-72-29-64-0-1
Parent: NET-72-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: PTR1.DIMENOC.COM
NameServer: PTR2.DIMENOC.COM
Comment:
RegDate: 2005-01-26
Updated: 2005-03-18
Obviously this is not the IP address of your domain or server or nameserver.

As I said above, I've e-mailed the bloke who has registered those two domains. He is yet to get back to me, at first I had no idea how to create a dns or name server. So he back-traced the IP and found what he thought was the host i'm getting vps off.

So now I am just waiting for him to reply to tell me he has changed the settings for the domains.

- Thanks.

When he gets back to you, post here or PM me. I'll try to respond as soon as I can.

Ok,

He e-mailed me make to tell me that he has changed them...

Thanks.

Also,

I did a dnsreport and only got 1 fail (reverse DNS)?

I also got mail warning?

The reverse DNS (rDNS) entry you will have to talk to the owners of the IP block (your ISP or reseller) and have them put it into their ARPA zone file.

The only failure to worry about right now is the one which says the mail server name

s4.severon.com.sg

is not in existence. Is this a valid domain of yours?

As of right now, neither of the domains can be browsed to. I do get a response from Telnetting to mail.mpresv.com on port 25 which is a good sign. And when I query your DNS server (204.9.190.226) it does give me the correct info for the mpresv.com domain.

Have you put an index.html or index file of any sort into the httpdocs folder of either domain??

Interestingly, when trying to browse to the home page of either domain, after 10 minutes of waiting, Firefox has not returned any error page.

I cannot think or see clearly right now, I have had a migraine headache all day.

I can look at it again when my head is better, or possibly someone else will happen by this thread and assist as well.

Thanks for the fast reply,

s4.severon.com.sg or (severon.com.sg - is who i'm getting the VPS - Virtual Private Server_ off.

If this has anything to do with it: the box name? is labelled: s4.severon.com.sg.

So, are you sure i'm not able to some how add the reverse dns? I have full control over the hardrive, root/shell etc.

They basically gave me the impression that everything is managable and that if given to the right person then there won't be a need to contact them (not that i won't, but just saying)

So that is where i'm wondering if I can do it at all. If not I will e-mail them and let them know.

- Also, i've heard of zone files...i'm able to edit them etc. is that what you mean by putting in zone file(s)?

- I havn't put any index.html in, it is default (if you're seeing this page, then the account holder hasn't uploaded a website" <-- or something to that affect.

- Thanks.

edit: had another look, and it has Hostname: s4.severon.com.sg in the Virtuozzo control panel.

edit:

If you double check the table, maybe I made a mistake?

table.jpg

I emailed them, and they got back to me I gave them all the information from the dns table.... But they says they don't understand what this all is..

Are you able to tell me from dnsreport.com of what information I need give them, like eg: kyroworx.com or ns1 & ns1.kyroworx.com...ip addresses? etc..

Thanks.

Your local DNS entries look fine.

1. Change the

s4.severon.com.sg

to

mail.kyroworx.com

and restart your server.

They apparently just put that as a temporary hostname, expecting you to change it. That exact domain has no corresponding DNS entries.

2. Reverse DNS: you can put PTR records for the domains you are hosting, but the rDNS for the IP address itself would be done by either the reseller or your ISP. They are the ones who would maintain the zone files for the IP addresses.

3. Since you are renting VPS space from someone else (and also the IP addresses), there are certain things which you do not have direct control over. The only way to avoid this would be to setup your own data center, which you probably can't afford to do :D

For the domains which you host, you pretty much have full control over those.

4. The zone files which you can edit are the ones for the domains you are hosting. My earlier post was referring to the zone files which your host/reseller have control over which contain the rDNS for the IP addresses which are assigned to you, but don't *belong* to you. I hope this makes sense to you.

5. Copy this and email it to them:

Reverse DNS for 204.9.190.226
Generated by www.DNSstuff.com

Preparation:
The reverse DNS entry for an IP is found by reversing the IP, adding it to "in-addr.arpa", and looking up the PTR record.
So, the reverse DNS entry for 204.9.190.226 is found by looking up the PTR record for
226.190.9.204.in-addr.arpa.
All DNS requests start by asking the root servers, and they let us know what to do next.
See How Reverse DNS Lookups Work for more information.

How I am searching:
Asking f.root-servers.net for 226.190.9.204.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
f.root-servers.net says to go to epazote.arin.net. (zone: 204.in-addr.arpa.)
Asking epazote.arin.net. for 226.190.9.204.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
epazote.arin.net [192.41.162.32] says to go to ns1.marliness.net. (zone: 190.9.204.in-addr.arpa.)
Asking ns1.marliness.net. for 226.190.9.204.in-addr.arpa PTR record: Reports that no PTR records exist [from 204.8.180.41].

Answer:
No PTR records exist for 204.9.190.226. [Neg TTL=3600 seconds]

Details:
ns1.marliness.net. (an authoritative nameserver for 190.9.204.in-addr.arpa., which is in charge of the reverse DNS for 204.9.190.226)
says that there are no PTR records for 204.9.190.226.

To get reverse DNS set up for 204.9.190.226, you need to speak to your Internet provider. You could also
check with [email protected]., who is in charge of the 190.9.204.in-addr.arpa. zone.

Note that all Internet accessible hosts are expected to have a reverse DNS entry (per RFC1912 2.1),
and many mailservers (such as AOL) will likely block E-mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry.
To see the reverse DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.

Basically they have not setup a pointer in their 226.190.9.204.in-addr.arpa. zone file.

Back