• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to setup a correct mail-server using Plesk?

Darylstone

New Pleskian
Dear Community,

I have bought a Virtual Server to host multiple Websites for few customers. Till now I have been using zoho as an external Mail-Server but one of my customer requested me to host not only his website but also the Mail-Services for him. I told him that I will try my best.

1. V-Server (used only for Website-hosting and own NAMESERVER):
Hostname: firstserver.com - IP: 1.1.1 (example)
Domain: firstserver.com
Nameserver: ns1.firstserver.com
Nameserver 2: External Nameserver by buddyns.com

I already tried it using the first server called "firstserver.com".
Created the customers Domain in Plesk, activated E-Mail-Services, activated DKIM, created an validate spf-record. Did add as MX mail.firstserver.com (10) and MX mail.firstserver.com (20). It worked fine but the problem that I had to face was that all the sent mail's via webmail landed in hotmail, outlook, aol etc. in the junk folder. Expect in Gmail.

The Error I had was (checked with mxtoolbox.com):
Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname

So I did change the PTR-Record for my IP 1.1.1 to mail.firstserver.com and also changed the Hostname in Plesk to mail.firstserver.com. The error removed but it didn't change anything on the behaviour of outlook etc. to mark the mails not as spam.

The bad thing using this method is that the Hostname has to be mail.firstserver.com.

So I did buy a second Virtual Server to use it only as a mailserver:

Hostname: mail.firstserver.com IP: 1.1.2

1. Created the domain of the customer on the firstserver.com PLESK-Backend for hosting customers website.
2. Created a MX RECORD in the dns-settings using mail.firstserver.com and also created an A-Record for webmail.customerdomain.com pointing to the new mail-servers IP 1.1.2.
3. After I did create the customers domain also in the second V-Server using as method "No-Webhosting" with Mail-Services. Everything did work. I could login to webmail.customersdomain.com and send an email but the mails did also land in the junk-folder by providers like outlook. So I tried to add DKIM using Plesk's default feature. The Problem I faced using this method is: If I send an email and check the DKIM (using online tools) - there is no DKIM created or it is not valid. Because I can't really create an DKIM in the second Mail-Server because it's only for mail-hosting. And if I activate DNS for the Domain customersdomain.com also in the mail-server (second VPS) than I would host the same domain on two servers.

I'm really confused at the moment. I hope, that I could describe the problem and someone can help me solve the Problem.

Thanks in advance!

Back