1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

How to setup a cronjob for apache restart

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by wattie, Dec 16, 2006.

1. wattie

wattie Guest

Recently my apache is overloading the server and I don't know why. It has to be restarted on regular basis (every day) to keep the server stable...

What exactly I need to write as a cron job to have this done? I am on freeBSD 6. I tried "5 9 * * * /usr/local/psa/apache/bin/apachectl restart ", but it doesn't seem to work

2. CruzMark

CruzMark Basic Pleskian

23%
    Well, you should figure out why it's overloading, rather than fixing it with a bandaid (restart), but try this:

5 9 * * * root /usr/local/psa/apache/bin/apachectl restart

3. wattie

wattie Guest

Actually more new information is comming - this is not related to crontab itself anymore.

1. When I use "Restart" on "Web Server (Apache)" using the Service Management in Plesk - the usage falls
    2. When I execute "/usr/local/psa/apache/bin/apachectl restart" via SSH the usage do not falls that much

Question: What "restart web server (apache)" in Plesk actually do?

P.S. Of course locating the root of the problem is the correct solution. I am just raising different type of question here

Got it - it's not just apachectl restart, but instead we should use httpd restart in rc.d