• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to upgrade from Plesk 8.3 to Plesk 9

S

sallyanne

We are looking to upgrade from Plesk 8.3 to Plesk 9, but want to do so without any problems. From reading these threads, it seems the autoupdater is rather buggy and we would rather not risk an unsuccessful upgrade.

What is the best bet to upgrade? Should we go from Plesk 8.3 to 8.4, then 8.4 to 8.6, and 8.6 to 9? Or is it safe to go straight from Plesk 8.3 to 9?

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I would wait. Unless you have a life or death reason to, I would not upgrade yet.

to 8.6
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-id PLESK_8_6_0 --upgrade-installed-components

to 9.0 (latest)

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-latest --upgrade-installed-components

> Should we go from Plesk 8.3 to 8.4, then 8.4 to 8.6, and 8.6 to 9?

this would be the worst way. You will catch every upgrade bug possible.

First thing I would say, as others have already said, is Don't do it.

That said, I now recently did upgrade from 8.3 to 9.0, so I will share my experience with you. I won't give you a howto guide because I will be here all day. All I can say is read the forums carefully first, read the knowledge base articles, be prepared for problems and be prepare for downtime. Most importantly take as many backups as you can.

I would skip 8.4, it is pretty buggy (though possibly less buggy than 9.0). Also be aware that a upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 can leave your installation unusable; as it did mine, on the first try, I had to revert back to 8.6. I the end (after I got 8.6 working again) I ended up taking backup, completely reinstalling my server, installing a minimal installation of 8.6, into which I imported my key, then I upgraded to 9.0. Finally I converted my backup files from 8.6 to 9 and restored them.

Please not that a fresh install of 9.0 didn't work for me as my key wasn't valid and I could find no way to upgrade it (I am with 1&1, so don't have all the details to use the manual key upgrade tools). However the upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 managed to upgrade my key fine.

Good luck, if you do decide to go ahead.

Back