• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to use CNAME to display a remote subdomain

A

abbynormal

I have been instructed by a service provider we are going to begin using that I need to use an alias (or cname) so that their subdomains appear on our site. The way we are apaprently supposed to do this would be something like this:

service1.oursite.com displays content that resides at service1.theirsite.com. So, what I've attempted to do in Plesk is make a cname record that says:

Host Record type Value
service1.oursite.com. CNAME service1.theirsite.com.

That didn't work.

The instructions from the service provider say this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Example:
service1.your-domain.com must be inserted in the zone file of your-domain.com

The following record needs to be inserted in the zone file of your-domain.com

service1 86400 ALIAS service1.their-domain.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, maybe I don't understand cname - but I am going to need to make 100+ of these "subdomain" pointers, and I don't want to do an htaccess pointer or something for every new service I add.

Any help is much appreciated!

CNAME it is just alias and it is impossible to point it to another IP.
You should create forwarding domain.

CNAME it is just alias and it is impossible to point it to another IP.

Thank you for your response. I'm aware that CNAME and alias are the same, the way I explained it I can see how you thought they were different things.

Also, never in my post did I mention forwarding to an ip. I want

service1.ourdomain.com

to show the content located at

service1.theirdomain.com

Finally, I don't know what a forwarding domain is, if it is different than what I have explained.

Please, someone read my post in full and if you know about the subject, I look forward to your response!

Back