• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to use content of subdomain as main domain?

Andreas2022

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello,

I'm working on a relaunch of my website, call it "olddomain.com". Therefore I created the subdomain new.olddomain.com and installed a new wordpress version, where I built the new layout.

How can I use the content of this subdomain as the new main domain? In other words, how can I point the content of new.olddomain to olddomain.com?

My provider said, I have to replace the whole content of olddomain.com with the content of new.olddomain.com, because I use two different subscriptions. I'm afraid there might be problems during this process.

Is there another, easier way to solve my problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Andreas

yes, activate wp-toolkit extension and have it recognize your new.olddomain.
Using wp-toolkit clone the new.olddomain to the front - httpdocs -folder; it will overwrite everything in the httpdocs folder
If you want to keep the olddomain site, make another subdomain and clone the actual olddomain to it and then proceed to clone the new version to httpdocs.
this method is hassle-free and takes some minutes, much better that having to change paths manually always with the risk of missing one and messing the whole site.

Regards

Hi Jorge,
thank you for your reply!

That sounds very interesting. But what about the login values for database connection etc (there also some security files like htaccess). Do I have to change something manually in the wordpress files?

No, that's the best part of using wp-toolkit: it does everything for you.
When getting ready to clone, it will ask you if you want to set up certain db name or so. Never had to override it, just let it clone everything automatically.
Have used it many times - well over 50 - and only once it sort of messed up, so deleted the cloned site and started over and everything came up fine.Give it a Give it a try, you will find it is faster and safer - no paths to modify.

When I'm going to start to clone, Plesk offers a new database name. If I understood right, WP Toolkit is able to convert existing values. But what, if I used database connections manually in the theme-files. I don't think, that WP Toolkit will recognize this, so wordpress will run into errors after replacing the old with the new content, right?
Did I understand right, that I replace the cloned version "on the fly" into the directory of the running old Wordpress version? Is this possible, or do I have to delete the old content before? And I guess during the copying process my website will be unavailable for a long time assuming I need to make various adjustments, right?

In my previous clones I beleive once or twice those sites had custom made connections and they were cloned successfully along.
On the other question, yes it overwrites existing content on the fly, so if you want to keep a copy, clone that first into another subdomain or using the files manager, transfer the content manually to another dir
Actual cloning time is very small.
We had this site with over 5000 posts which we reconverted from joomla which we first assembled in a subdomain. When it was ready for delivery, we cloned it and it took around 5 minutes to complete. For a regualr site, it takes a couple of minutes in which the site won't be available

Back