• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question How to use SFTP

spip

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.63 #4
Hello,
One of my customers wants to upload files to a directory on his website and wants to use SFTP access. I can't figure out how to do this in PLESK. I can only create FTP accesses.
Thank you for your help.

Thanks, but SSH access seems to be forbidden. Where is this setting in Plesk? Should it be done at the service plans ? (see attachment)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-09-23 à 22.56.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-09-23 à 22.56.51.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, but SSH access seems to be forbidden. Where is this setting in Plesk? Should it be done at the service plans ? (see attachment)
Chrooted should work fine. We have all our subscriptions set to chrooted when they want SFTP access. Check to see if the default port 22 is accessible on your system, or if you've customized the port check that one. Additionally, make certain that you don't have any allow/deny rules that whitelist only certain IPs.

You can check to see if your server is listening to the port by using something like netstat:
Bash:
netstat -tuln | grep :22

If you have any allow/deny rules set up in /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny, you can inspect those files using:
Bash:
cat /etc/hosts.allow
cat /etc/hosts.deny

You do not want to do it at the service plan but at the domain's host option, using chrooted. Just a fyi that even with chrooted you'll want to make sure you have some sort of monitoring on the server to ensure security.

Is there a reason why the client wants to use SFTP? Why not just use normal FTP or use FTPs?

Back