• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question http compression IIS Plesk

Xternalia

New Pleskian
Hi all,

First of all, let me apologize for repeating a question if this issue has been already answered before. Only reference about this I've found in fórum/KB was in Linux/apache platform.

I would like to actívate de HTTP dynamic compression in my Plesk hosted webs. My installation is currently under production so caution is Paramount. What I want to know is if this is a recommended practice in a Plesk/Windows platform (w2012R2, plesk 12.5.30) and if it yields any significant results in Wordpress websites.
We presume we have to install the dynamic compression module from role/features wizard, and check that in IIS the check-gadget about dynamic compression is ticked. Though we wonder if the "direct manipulation" of the Windows features with no Plesk "knowledge" is ok or we are disturbing the Plesk installation somehow.
In addition I'd like to know if a reboot is needed afterwards, and if all page sites will get affected or only the default page (some concerns read on other fórums about this last point)

Other thoughts about this topic would be very apreciated

Thanks

Since Plesk doesn't manage Dynamic Compression in IIS, it is ok, if you have enabled it manually in IIS. Plesk shouldn't touch these settings.

My recommendation is to try to enable dynamic compression on any site hosted on the same server before. In this case you can ensure, that all IIS components are really installed and working. You should try it before enabling on production site.

Also, you should understand that compression will take part of your CPU activity, so if your server is highly loaded, then maybe compression will hit performance of your server and website. There are some articles about pros and cons of dynamic compression, for example: Scott Forsyth's Blog - IIS 7 Compression. Good? Bad? How much?

Back