• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

I am having a complete mental block with subscriptions versus domains

tonyolm

Basic Pleskian
I am having a complete mental block with subscriptions versus domains. We have always used plesk since day one. We are finally moving away from 9.5.4 and adding servers with plesk 12.

What is the purpose of a subscription versus a domain?

If I click on a customer I want to see the list of domains assigned to that customer. As is 9.5.4. If I click on a customer I want to just create the domain for that customer.

"
Relationship Between Plans and Subscriptions
Normally, a subscription is associated with a service plan, and this association is reflected in a list of subscriptions: each subscription name contains the service plan name in brackets at the end. The amount of resources and services provided with a subscription can be extended by associating the subscription with add-on plans. A subscription can be associated with several add-ons, but each add-on can be added to the subscription only once.

It is also possible that a subscription may not be associated with a service plan, and so it cannot be associated with any add-on plans: add-ons are only added to a "main" service plan. We call such subscriptions custom subscriptions, and their names are extended with "(Custom)" in the list of subscriptions. Having a custom subscription may be useful if you want to provide services on specific terms that are different from the usual offerings in your business model."

I must not be intelligent because I don't get it :)

I don't want to add a new subscription to for a client I want to add a new domain.

If I click on customers, then the client I created, I see add new subscription. Not add new domain.

When you click on add new subscription because in my case that is the only option available it looks like you are basically setting up a domain. It is asking for Domain name, IP, user and the plan you want.

If I click on the newly created subscription I see the "subscription" I added along with menu options to add new domain, add new subdomain and add new domain alias.

I click on new domain and add the domain I want I receive "This domain already exists". So what happened? It only let me create a subscription in the first place.

So what is the point of calling the domain I just created a subscription in the first place?

I searched the forums for subscription vs domains but I'm not coming up with anything.

Is there a way to remove the subscriptions all together and just have customers, their domains and what sevice plans a domain can have?

Or is there a "subscriptions for dummies" book?

We were desperately confused and asked these very questions 5 years ago when Plesk 10 rolled out :)
Otherwise:

A subscription is not a type of user, but it's relevant to the concept of a customer/subscriber. Customers can "own" one or more subscriptions, and log into the Control Panel for each subscription they own. The admin user can also have subscriptions and warp into the Control Panel for any of his/her own subscriptions.

A subscription has at least one main domain, and can have additional domains. These domains are grouped together in a single instance of the Control Panel. If you have more than one subscription, you can toggle between them in the Control Panel to access different groups of domains.

For any one subscription, you can set up:
  • additional domains
  • email addresses for any domain in the subscription
  • additional FTP users with custom access to a specific folder within the subscription
  • databases and database users
  • Control Panel users
  • Application Vault software
All of the above tasks are performed from within the Control Panel as admin, a customer, or a Control Panel user.

You can also change the server-level settings for the subscription, such as the amount of disk space that it can use, or the total number of email addresses allowed. You will make these changes in the Server Administration Panel.

All of the web content for a single subscription belongs to the same Linux user. See the Linux users section below for more detail.

More here: http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/1901/Plesk+users+explained#dv_managed

Thank you.

A little clearer but still confusing because you are creating a domain when creating a subscription. It is either one or the other.

Mental block hits again.

There is one domain or subscription what ever the hell it is :) on the server.

speakupwny.com

That domain was restored from a backup from a plesk 9.x server.

I made a new domain but it didn't ask for the account login/password when creating the domain.

testtony.com

It created a folder under the first domain's folder.

/home/httpd/vhosts/speakupwny.com/testtony.com

Why would it take the new domain I created and place it's folder under the first domain's folder?

Why wouldn't it created something like:

/home/httpd/vhosts/testtony.com

------------------------------------
Websites to which these settings apply
The following websites are associated with the current system user. The changes in web hosting access settings you make on this page will apply to all these websites.

testtony.com
speakupwny.com
-----------------------------------

Do you now have 1 user name for a group of domains and then just make sure you are selecting the proper directory when uploading your files?

That can not be correct. I could see clients accidentally ftping files into the wrong root folder for the domain they think they are logging into.

Here is the directory for the domain I restored from the plesk 9 server.

So now I clicked on the "customer" and clicked on add new 3rd domain

3rddomain.com

and it created it's root folder

/home/httpd/vhosts/speakupwny.com/3rddomain.com

Why wouldn't the new domain's directory be as an example.

/home/httpd/vhosts/3rddomain.com/

Now if I go to FTP access for any of the created domains I see the same user for all three domains from the very first domain (subscription) that was created.

I click on that user so I can change the password but I see:

"The following websites are associated with the current system user. The changes in web hosting access settings you make on this page will apply to all these websites.
testtony.com
3rddomain.com"

Why wouldn't the control panel create an FTP user/pass for each new domain I created in the first place? So when a client FTP's into to that domain they are dropping into the proper folders?

So now they need to generate a new ftp user/pass and point to the proper folder for each domain they create?

Why make someone go through all of that?

Or is there something completely mis-configured with this plesk install?

Coming from Plesk 9 to 12, I can understand how you feel and see things ...

Plesk 10 and above was a total over-whole of Plesk 9. There's very little relationship with both ..And it's kinda confusing for a start, but as you continue using it, you will get used to it and actually you will get to like it :)

Back