• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue I want to increase RoundCube Webmail attachment limit: but config file says it's a 'read-only' file

Edward A B

New Pleskian
Hi every one,

I badly need help here: I just built a php website for a client and I hosted this on plesk. I added a webmail email service but we realise that the Email
Client (Horde or RoundCube) will only accept a small file upload size. It won't even accept a one page pdf file. I tried advice from some treads on this platform to edit the RoundCube config script via SSH. I tried but when I got to the RoundCube Config file, I saw a Warning that the file was a read-only file and any changes will be discarded the next time the script is run. I'm stuck here. Is there any way around this as my client is growing impatient. I have Plesk Onyx.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Edward

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. In fact I followed the steps prescribed in the article but when I got to stage where I was supposed to edit the round cube php.ni file, and save the changes, it won’t let me save the changes giving the alert that the file is a read-only file so any changes will be reversed the next time the script is run. This is where I’m stuck. Is there any way around it when the system says ‘.. it’s a read-only file’ ?
Thanks

Are you editing it in the Plesk File Manager or on the Linux command line? What is the output of
# ll <your filename>
?

I suspect you're not logged on as a user with root privileges. Otherwise you should have no issue editing the file trough SSH.

Try editing the php.ini file with the sudo nano /etc/psa-webmail/roundcube/php.ini command. The sudo command allows you to run any linux command as a root user.

If you ever see examples of linux commands in posts or article some were and the command starts with the hash # sign, it means you'll need to run them as a user with root privileges :)

Last edited:
Many thanks Rasp and Peter for your help.

Rasp, you were right: I was not logged in as a root user. Now, after logging in as a root user, I have been able to edit the /etc/psa-webmail/roundcube/php.ini file. I tried the webmail again (from client side) and there is a surprise:

(1) the roundcube client is now showing "Maximum allowed file size is 100 MB" instead of "32MB" previously. I thought 'Hooray, problem solved'. But not.
(1) When I attempted to upload a file of 550kb it won't accept it. Hmmm. I even restarted apache, but no luck.

Peter, I'm using Putty SSH to edit the /etc/psa-webmail/roundcube/php.ini file, which I have now been able to edit, yet it's clear the original restriction persists. Hmm. I'm at my wits end now seriously.

Many thanks for your help.

The remaining steps, per the article, are for when I want to apply the changes to all domains, which I don’t want to risk, ‘cos if I mess up the file it will bug all innocent domains on the server unnecessarily. I followed the steps in the article for making changes for a single domain, I think, so I expected it to work. I’m no genius with this by any stretch of imagination so I still stand for correction. Is it not possible to apply the changes to only one domain?
Many thanks.

I don't think it's possible to alter the upload limit for just a single domain. It's either all or none. The upload file size you set in /etc/psa-webmail/roundcube/php.ini and /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php apply to webmail for all domains.

Back