• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved I'm stuck in mail hell. How do I fix server verification issues?

MrEdofCourse

New Pleskian
Hi, I'm new. I searched. I didn't find an answer and have been struggling for a couple of weeks with this...

I was able to set up a mail service and user. However when I go to add that user account to a mail client (like Mail on iOS), I get an error that the server can not be verified. I've tried this a couple of times with a couple of different domains.

I'm entering the login information as it appears in the Plesk control panel:
Mail server username: [email protected]
Incoming mail server: mydomain.com
Outgoing mail server: mydomain.com (server requires authentication)
Supported incoming mail protocols: POP3, IMAP
Supported outgoing mail protocols: SMTP

I'm using my actual username and my actual domain name, and passwords for both incoming and outgoing. I'm using Let's Encrypt for "SSL/TLS certificate for webmail ", and when I check SSL/TLS certificates, it's saying that Let's Encrypt is being used for the domain with webmail.

I'm running Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #48 on Debian 9.8

The one thing that seems odd to me, is that I've almost always seen email servers use something like imap.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com. However, I'm not sure that's the problem and I'm not sure how to set that up for mail (I get subdomains for web services).

Webmail is working, but I just can't seem to get these added to native email clients.

Is there something really stupid and obvious that I'm missing?

This is normal and expected behaviour. The current versions of Postfix on Debian 9 and Plesk only support 1 single certificate for mail services. Postfix 3.4 with SNI support was only released a couple of weeks ago and it will take some time until your Linux distribution and Plesk will support that Postfix version.

So to avoid warnings in their mail clients, your customers must use the FQDN hostname of your Plesk server:
Incoming mail server: your.plesk-hostname.tld
Outgoing mail server: your.plesk-hostname.tld

See also:
Resolved - postfix with SSL
How to assign separate SSL certificates for different domains on a local mail server in Plesk?

Last edited:
This is normal and expected behaviour. The current versions of Postfix on Debian 9 and Plesk only support 1 single certificate for mail services. Postfix 3.4 with SNI support was only released a couple of weeks ago and it will take some time until your Linux distribution and Plesk will support that Postfix version.

So to avoid warnings in their mail clients, your customers must use the FQDN hostname of your Plesk server:
Incoming mail server: your.plesk-hostname.tld
Outgoing mail server: your.plesk-hostname.tld

See also:Resolved - postfix with SSL

Oh wow, thank you!!! And you're from Basel... I love Switzerland!!! Considering your avatar, I just made a small donation to BestFriends.org, they rescue and provide sanctuary and adoptions for cats/dogs. Thanks again.

Oh wow, thank you!!! And you're from Basel... I love Switzerland!!! Considering your avatar, I just made a small donation to BestFriends.org, they rescue and provide sanctuary and adoptions for cats/dogs. Thanks again.

Oh wow, that's so nice of you, thanks for helping animals!
Plesk Forum, connecting people and saving animals, what a nice combination ;)

+1 for Best Friends. Be sure to check them out if you're ever in Utah. Great place.

Hello good afternoon,

Sorry to take conversation in this thread, but I am urged on the same issue and can not find a solution.

The mail does not work so well, I can send mail but receive it as spam; someone can send me mail but it never reaches me and the person sending it does not receive notification if the account does not exist.

It seems that this mail system in Plesk is very annoying.

The problem is when I need to receive and send mail through my Gmail tray, all my corporate emails are integrated as well but I really have not managed to do it with Plesk.

I fill the data that gives the system but by no port option I manage to do the integration.

Mail server username: [email protected]
Incoming mail server: mydomain.com
Outgoing mail server: mydomain.com (server requires authentication)
Supported incoming mail protocols: POP3, IMAP
Supported outgoing mail protocols: SMTP

According to the answer you give, I have to put in the name of the server not my web page but the host name of my server.

I found that information TOOLS AND CONFIGURATION >> SERVER CONFIGURATION >> COMPLETE HOST NAME, but still it did not work for me.

I need help please, this has been a complete headache.

Back