• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Importing large sql file via SSH

SamirM

Basic Pleskian
I have been trying quite unsuccessfully to import a large sql db file via phpMyAdmin for one of my clients. Since the db file is about 250mb I get a server timeout error.
Can anyone guide me as to how I can do this via SSH
I have a CentOS server 6.5, 64 bit that runs Plesk v 12.0.18
Thanks in advance

Hi SamirM,

please create a database over Plesk and then use the command over SSH:

mysql -u admin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` YOUR_DATABASE_NAME_WHICH_ALREADY_SHOULD_BE_CREATED < /path_to_your_SQL/NAME_OF_THE_SQL_WHICH_SHOULD_BE_IMPORTED.sql

thnx UFHH01, and pardon my lack of knowledge, but do i need to provide the db username and password in the above command

Hi SamirM,

due to the case, that the above command uses the MySQL . Admin as username and the corresponding password, there is no need for any DB - username and DB - password, just replace "YOUR_DATABASE_NAME_WHICH_ALREADY_SHOULD_BE_CREATED" and "/path_to_your_SQL/NAME_OF_THE_SQL_WHICH_SHOULD_BE_IMPORTED.sql" with your correct DB - name and path to your SQL.

I used a slightly different command to import the db successfully, here is what i used:
mysql -u username -p dbname < the exact path whr the sql file us located/dbfile.sql , when you hit enter, it will ask for the password for the db and then start the import process, which if its a very huge db will take an inordinate long time to complete

Hello everyone, I hope this message is useful to people like me who happened on this page. Also I hope that after years you have solved :))) LOL
You can also use an app that splits the database (just set how many cuts and what size) in order to generate 2-3 files of 60-80mb each.
I always use a free DBSPLITTER in order to facilitate uploads with phpmyadmin.
Always follow the instructions. a schema file must be imported first, then the cut files.
I hope it is useful.

Back