• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Incorrect name of CNAME record.

B

blindOSX

When I try to add a CNAME record with this name:

gsfehytrtvsdgqtgmtg72sdfg8amnz2u._domainkey

Plesk says that the name is not correct.

Any help?

P.S: I am trying to enable the DKIM signing of Amazon SES.

What is steps to reproduce and exact error message?

I'm trying to enable the easy DKIM for Amazon SES to sign my emails. The Amazon documentation says that I have to add three CNAME records to my DNS settings.

But apparently, Plesk dont allow to enter the string "_domainkey" in the 'name' field for CNAME records.

This link is about the same problem in the Amazon AWS forums. https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=366864

In the eigth response, an Amazon AWS authoritative voice explains what caused the problem and what providers should do.

To reproduce the problem, I simply try to add the record through the client admin panel.

I have this problem too when trying to set up a domain to use Amazon SES. Plesk does not allow an underscore character in a CNAME entry.

Amazon says: "The rfc for hostnames disallows _ as a leading character, however this has been superceded by an RFC allowing _ for non-hostname application, such as DKIM (which requires CNAME records for DKIM to start with _domainkey). Unfortunately, a number of DNS providers don't closely follow the RFC. We added the _ to denote specifically that these are not host records and should not be treated as such and comply with rfc. The right thing is for the DNS providers to change their string parsing code."

Plesk can you please provide an update so we can enter an underscore character in CNAMEs?

Are we just being ignored?

Plesk folks: I know you monitor these forums.

What's the deal? In today's world of email deliverability problems adding DKIM records is an imperative for successful businesses. Plesk needs to comply with the rfc and remove their arbitrary underscore restriction from CNAME records. We need an update now. Now. Now.

Is the plan to ignore us until we stop asking? If so, I will stop by spending my money elsewhere and choosing other control panel providers.

Hellooo?

And will anyone actually read or respond? I've submitted numerous requests and never even had an acknowledgement, let alone the problem fixed. I too am thinking of moving away from Plesk for this very reason.

And will anyone actually read or respond? I've submitted numerous requests and never even had an acknowledgement, let alone the problem fixed. I too am thinking of moving away from Plesk for this very reason.

I see only 2 posts of your account and none of them is request.
Could you please provide me example of your request where there was no response from Parallels?

Once was by direct email, and once was in response to a survey. I'm happy to click the link above and submit the request again if someone is likely to read and acknowledge it.

I'm happy to click the link above and submit the request again if someone is likely to read and acknowledge it.

Usage of this template for reporting issues and communication with Plesk Service Team is usual practice on this forum.

OK, that's done!

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0 for Linux

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
Plesk does not allow an underscore character in a CNAME entry

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Go to Plesk control panel for domain Websites & Domains > DNS settings > Add record
Try adding a CNAME entry with an underscore

ACTUAL RESULT
Plesk reports "Error: Incorrect DNS record values were specified."

EXPECTED RESULT
Underscores should be allowed. This is required for DKIM to help email deliverability (in my case, using Amazon SES). Amazon says: "The rfc for hostnames disallows _ as a leading character, however this has been superceded by an RFC allowing _ for non-hostname application, such as DKIM (which requires CNAME records for DKIM to start with _domainkey). Unfortunately, a number of DNS providers don't closely follow the RFC. We added the _ to denote specifically that these are not host records and should not be treated as such and comply with rfc. The right thing is for the DNS providers to change their string parsing code."

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
As a workaround, I could add the CNAME entry in Plesk without an underscore, and then edit the file at /var/named/run-root/var. But this gets over-written every time Plesk does an update.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I have created request #124342 for developers. I will update thread with results as soon as I receive them.

Temp fix until

groovyjon: thanks for that sweet little nugget of information. I am NOT a server genius, but still keep 17 servers running for my business (...mother of invention).

I'll turn off Plesk updates and use that until I can start changing out control panels. Muchas gracias!

As a workaround, I could add the CNAME entry in Plesk without an underscore, and then edit the file at /var/named/run-root/var. But this gets over-written every time Plesk does an update.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Underscores should be allowed. This is required for DKIM to help email deliverability (in my case, using Amazon SES). Amazon says: "The rfc for hostnames disallows _ as a leading character, however this has been superceded by an RFC allowing _ for non-hostname application, such as DKIM (which requires CNAME records for DKIM to start with _domainkey). Unfortunately, a number of DNS providers don't closely follow the RFC. We added the _ to denote specifically that these are not host records and should not be treated as such and comply with rfc. The right thing is for the DNS providers to change their string parsing code."

Hello, could you please specify which one RFC recommends this?
I found nothing in RFCs updating http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1035 mentioned such changes.
Thanks in advance.

STILL not a server genius

But, using the incredible power of Google I searched for "CNAME RFC UNDERSCORE" and, in less than 5 seconds, found this page discussing (fairly intelligently) underscores:

http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/underscore.html

and this page at the IETF that uses a lot of technical jargon I don't understand but still somehow seems relevant:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

Granted, I'm not paid to understand IETF RFCs so I don't know whether the RFC linked above applies, but I'm guessing that folks at Parallels (RuslanT) ARE paid to do so and a more refined Google search would turn up the appropriate entry.

N'est-ce pas?

OK, so are you saying that no change will be implemented to allow underscores in CNAME? We're trying to follow Amazon's instructions for SES which requires this.

No, I mean only that it's not a bug but a feature request. As I see IgorG had already reported it.
BTW:
C_Bird, did you disabled Panel updates? Disabling Panel updates is a bad practice. And it will not help because DNS zone file will be overwritten on every action modifying DNS zone in the panel. For instance: adding subdomain or any DNS record or any DNS zone change. Panel updates usually do nothing with DNS zones. As workaround in your case you can write a shell script which modify DNS zones files every time when DNS zone update running with help of Events feature in Plesk.
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP11/11.0/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-administrator-guide/59206.htm
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP11/11.0/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-administrator-guide/67897.htm

Back