• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Installing a certificate for a domain

raphneve

New Pleskian
Hello all,

I have a dedicated server running Plesk 8.3. My supplier has allotted me 1 IP address onto which is configured a "Plesk" SSL certificate. This is OK, but when I log into one of my domains hosted on this server, it's always the same Plesk certificate that is presented.

Well, as you know, there's Internet Explorer 7 that balks at the fact that the certificate isn't signed with the domain name. So it gives such a terrifying warning message to potential buyers (we have a little oscommerce shop) that they often close up their browser, shut off the computer, close the shutters, turn off the light and lock themselves into their basement. You know the message I'm talking about : it mentions identity theft, IP spoofing and uses all kinds of technical jargon to scare people into closing the browser.

So I created a certificate and configured it in Plesk on the domain level. So now I have this certificate sitting there but in the "Uses" column it says zero. And when I log into my site with https://www.mydomain.com I still get the plesk certificate.

My supplier said I had to buy another dedicated IP ($$$) and map one certificate per IP.

Does that make sense? Isn't that a bit crazy? Or is it ... security? Or does my supplier want to sell me another IP?

It seems to me that if Plesk allows you to create certificates on the domain level, you should be able to configure them on the domain level ... no? I'm pretty sure that's how it works on the underlying Apache level ....

Thanks for you help on this one...

Raphael Neve

Back