• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Installing and working on wordpress before setting up DNS

Scuder

New Pleskian
Hey, I'm new to Plesk, so are with me if this is a simple request, however, I can't seem to locate anything online in my search.

I'm building a site for a client in WordPress, using Plesk on an AWS instance. They currently host their website on another hosting company/platform (Hostgator) so obviously the domain is pointed to this current host. The client does not want any downtime from when they migrate over to my new build, My question is can I install WP on my host IP address rather than a domain? When I tried I had to provide a working domain, but if the DNS is not pointed at my server then when I try to launch the site from plesk it loads the current site that is live on their hosting. Or is it best to build locally and then migrate the DB and the point the DNS at my server when im ready to go live? Hopefully that makes sense

Thanks for any advise

Z

The feature you are looking for is called: Staging Site.

you may use search engine with keyword: Wordpress Staging site with Plesk

PS: available only to certain edition of plesk

I have this same question. I understand what staging is, but the conundrum is this...

Site A is at IP Address 111.111.111 right now (e.g.)

I want to build Site B (on Plesk IP address 222.222.222) When I set up Plesk and it asked for the domain name I put in the domain name of Site A.

I got an error from Plesk saying that the domain name of Site A is already pointing to IP address 111.111.111

I want to temporarily build Site B (on Plesk) and once it's ready to go live, I can switch the DNS to point to the new IP address: 222.222.222

What's the best way to do this?

Or is it best to build locally and then migrate the DB and the point the DNS at my server when im ready to go live? Hopefully that makes sense Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Last edited:
Back