• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IPv6

T

tomm3h

Hi Parallels,

The topic of IPv6 seems to be quite sparse, when I think the lack of support for it within Plesk is becoming quite concerning.

Some small background:

- I work for a hosting company that operates hundreds of Plesk-based servers, from versions 7.5.4 to 9.2 across FreeBSD, CentOS & Windows.

- We have an IPv6 address allocation from RIPE and have done for many months.

- We have multiple IPv6 provider links and are ready to begin rolling-out addressing across our internal network

IPv4 is running out quickly: fact.

RIR assignments will end in ~12 months (or less, depending on the rate of IPv4 land grabs) and LIR assignments probably 12 or so months afterwards. At that point, there will be a panic. ISPs in some countries may have to consider supplying only IPv6 to their customers.

RIPE themselves cannot stress the idea of 'gradual implementation' enough. The cost-to-benefit ratio of smoothly transitioning from an IPv4-only to dual-stack IPv4 & IPv6 network over a long period, far outweighs a sharp transition at the point when catastrophe hits. Prevention is better than cure, etc.

At present, how does Parallels presume to support their impending customer's requirements for IPv6? There is no support that I can see mentioned in Plesk 9.5, OR the 10.0 "marketing preview". Regardless of the level of demand, you have been within this business for many, many years and should by now have the ability to foresee coming trends. When the IPv4 exhaustion finally grips your customers with panic, what solution will you have to offer them?

At this time it is presumed that such ignorance will lead to one of the following situations for us:

1) Investing in supplemental (and highly expensive) IPv6-to-IPv4 solutions, so that any IPv6-only customers are able to access systems limited to IPv4 (that's Plesk.)

2) Begin working on our own implementation. We have the expertise, but the time and money required to even consider this would be astronomical.

In either case: such ignorance is going to cost us dearly.

The short story here is that we have customers to appease. They will be demanding IPv6 shortly, whilst many are already interested in seeing our services support this as soon as possible because they share the same view as myself.

Our networking hardware has support, the operating systems have had support for years, name & e-mail servers (separate to Plesk) have support already. IPv6 transit is already readily available. We're implementing slowly but surely, yet our plans for the roll-out have a huge black hole where Plesk currently resides.

So to Parallels:

1) after we've invested so much into Plesk over the last decade, what are you doing (if anything) about the inevitable, world-wide move to IPv6? Has there been any consideration at all?

2) What, if anything, is holding back the development -- if it exists?

3) Are you simply ignoring IPv6, expecting your customers to foot the bill for your short-sighted behaviour?

4) Finally, is there any form of IPv6 beta program that we can enrol in?

I look forward to hearing these replies.

Tom

IPv6 will be supported in the one of Plesk release. We have corresponding feature request and developers are working on it. Here are following threads about this problem:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=87653
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=98513
Hi Igor,

Thank you for replying. I had searched the forums (and Google) for information prior to posting - those threads were started in relation to Plesk 9.0 and 9.3 respectfully, so I thought it was about time that someone started another.

So it is already known that there are feature requests. What remains is:

- For which release is IPv6 targeted? There is no mention of it for 10.0. It was *supposed* to be here in 9.x.

- Is there a beta version, or beta programme, to test with?

I realise you may not have all the answers Igor, but if you could obtain some form of official response I would appreciate it.

As I've said, our continued use of Plesk revolves around the support that we can provide to our customers (including their customers and almost every visitor to our network) in the coming years.

Tom

Sorry, but we never provide any ETA.
Parallels don't provide ETAs?

Let me rephrase what you've said:

"Sorry, but we never wish to give our customers any hope that we're working on providing solutions to their concerns."

What makes this worse is that the lack of response seems very guilty, almost as-if:

1) No-one is working on this at all

2) No-one at Parallels has any form of foresight towards the issues that will be faced in a relatively short space of time.

No reassurance what-so-ever to your customers, despite this being raised as an important feature request over a year ago, is particularly upsetting.

Refusing to provide tangible evidence of progress is also enough to lose customers. As far as I'm concerned, our customers will soon begin getting a choice between Plesk and SysCP very shortly. The developers of SysCP have at least had the common sense to provide pre-emptive support for IPv6 already.

So well done, that's more than a few license sales you've lost on behalf of Parallels. ;)

Perhaps you should forward this thread to someone at Parallels whom is in charge of development. I'd like to hear their reasoning behind the lack of support, the lack of discernible work/technology previews/beta programmes or indeed the lack of any evidence that IPv6 support is in development.

Yes, we have already request about IPv6 supporting and developers are working on it. Your recommendations and your request from this thread have been forwarded to development and management teams and you shouldn't worry that we haven't heard you.
If you want to escalate it and get IPv6 support in Plesk immediately - you can contact your sales representative.

What.. still no IPv6 in Plesk 10? That's completely unacceptable. The IPv4 space will be well run out by the next major Plesk release. Does anybody have Serguei Beloussov's email address?

Back