• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue with Google Drive Backup

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Issue with Google Drive Backup

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS - Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.60

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

1. The first issue

with Plesk backup is the notification email in the case something went wrong.
Plesk backup is a component that never respect the rule to use a specific email sender for notification so emails get not delivered or goes into spam. Even if in the php ini editor of plesk the line

Code:
[notification]
senderAddress=

is used, this never affect the backup that still use my gmail account that is not authorized to send email from a not Gmail server so errors or backup email notification fail to arrive or get flagged as spam or generate a delivery status notification.

Consider also that Gmail will be more severe on this on next months.

For fix this issue I had to take template example from the file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/pmmcli/pmmcli-rc.sample
then on the file pmmcli-rc add and customize the following:

Code:
# Notification mail 'mail-from' parameter
NOTIFICATION_MAIL_FROM '[email protected]'

I take this solution from here.

2. The second issue

is about Google Drive backups.
I installed the Google Drive backup 1.4.1-102

I configured it.

Each backup is less then 2 GB for be more clear 1,90 GB
I have 15 GB of free space in my Google Drive account.

First issue is that the Google Drive backup never let me decide how much backup I wanna keep on Google Drive.
I expect to be able to set for example max 7 full backup then erase the last one when you need to save a new backup.

Seems the Google Drive backup not only miss this function but never respect also what I set on Plesk backup.
What happen is that after some days of successfully backup I get an error email where say the space on Google Drive was ended.

It was strange to me this because I was set Plesk to store 7 backup and 1,90 GB x 7 = is about 13, 3 GB of space so was strange find that Google Backup alerted me about not enough space.

To avoid this error I reduced the Plesk backup server settings to keep just 6 full backup, no incremental backup.
Also with this I get error after few days and after clean all existent backup on Google Drive.

Screenshot-2024-04-11-080821.png

In this screen I expect to specify to the Google Drive backup to store only 6 or 7 backups then erase the oldest one.
No settings about this are present.

As you can see the extension detect correctly that I have used 11,02 GB of 15 for backups so looks there is enough space for another backup... but I get the error email

There is not enough disk space at Google Drive at My Drive/My Plesk Ionos to backup creation. At least 4.03 GB free space is required (3.98 GB is available)

If I open the Google Drive space I see there is 6 backup present.
What I expect is that the last backup is erased then the new one is saved but this seems not to happen.
Seems the Google Drive extension is try to add the 7 backup that I never allow in any settings. Plesk is set to store only 6 backup.. I changed from 7 to 6 for avoid this error on Google Drive but seems not only the Google Drive extension miss an option to set how many backups keep on Google Drive but even ignore what is set on Plesk.

End of the story: I need deactivate Google Drive backup for now as there are issues that need to be fixed before I can try to use again.

Seems Google DRive backup is never deleting old backups.
Miss the option to set the maximum backup to keep and wrongly alert me the free space is not enough.

Why 4 GB is required if my backup are only 2 GB and 2 GB are available?
Also if Google drive work correctly the oldest backup is deleted so 2 GB of free space are added so is not true that 11,02 is used because on this space there is also the old backup that the extension need to delete before upload the new backup.

Maybe the deletion is done only after adding the next 7 backup even if I set Plesk to store only 6 backups?
In this case maybe add the max backup settings in the Google Drive can resolve by set up only 5 backup to store on Google Drive?

I don't know.. but currently I have 3,98 GB of free space this can store 2 other backups but your extension is required 4 GB free. I don't understand why if that space can be used but the extension decide I cannot use.

I tried to set from 7 backup to 6 but the space issue is the same so maybe the old backups on Google drive are not deleted and replaced?

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

For the second issue you just can set a Google drive account with 15 GB of space.
Each server backup should be about 1,90 GB and the max backup set to 6

Seems also if there is enough space on Google Drive, the backup are not stored.

ACTUAL RESULT

Having issue with the Google Drive backup because I cannot set a different number of backup to keep, different from local and even if I have enough space for two more backups I cannot see the 6 backup stored correctly.

My Google Drive has 6 backup.
Space is 11.02 GB of 15 GB used
A single backup size is 1.83 GB

there is enought space to save the 7 backups and to delete the old one and to have a max of 6 backup but this is not happening and I'm getting error email and notification about not sufficient space.

EXPECTED RESULT

I expect to be able to set max backup to store on Google Drive.
This settings should be different from the number of backups that can be stored in the local storage.

I expect to use all Google Drive free space for save backups and not see that 4 GB of space is required.
My Google Drive has 6 backup present.
Each backup are less then 2 GB so in the Google drive there are space for other 2 additional backup so for 8 backups.

I reduced the max backup on Plesk from 7 to 6 to avoid the Google Drive error about space but the issue still be present.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Another issue is that if the Google Drive backup fail also the local backup is not saved on Plesk even if, in the settings, I set the option to active.

Save backups in the server storage if the upload to remote storage fails Manual and scheduled backups intended for remote storage will be saved in the local server storage if uploading to remote storage fails. Users must have the permission to store backups in the server storage.
--
If you wont fix the issue with the Google Drive there is a way to remove the requirements of the 4 GB of free space?
Now I can try to reduce the server backup to 5 from 7 to 5 to see if I'm able to see my backups not even saved in local but also on the Google Drive but will be nice to use all the space in the Google Drive.

For now the auto erase of old backups on Google Drive never works for me.
Maybe I need to see if set a max of 5 backups resolve the Google Drive space issue but... I think is not good be forced to have only 5 backups even on the local server just because Google Drive extension need 4 GB of free space that is more then two single backups that could be stored in the Google Drive but it's not and also see the local backup not saved to Plesk if the Google Drive backup fail.

Update: even if I set a max backup of 5 I get the Google Drive free space error so I need to disable the Google Drive extension until a fix and a solution will be provided.

If I surmise the issue you are having it's that:
1) The email address specified with senderAddress= in the panel.ini file is not used for backup notifications.
Which is a known limitation.

2a) It appears that the oldest scheduled backup isn't removed before a new backup is made. Requiring more storage space that needed if the oldest scheduled backup was removed first (freeing up space).
2b) The backup manager requires more free space to be available on Google Drive then the size of the actual backup.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
1) yes, still be a present issue but fortunately I have the fix to apply if I change server as I do on the last month.
Changing the server recreate the issue and need a manual fix from me. Deliver email using a Gmail account is not a good idea. Gmail because my Plesk user is registered with a Gmail account. This I think should be avoid by Plesk in general.
This currently is the issue less important as I have the fix

2a) Maybe I suppose some issue is present on the Google Drive extension as if I have free 15 GB of space and my single daily backup take less then 2 GB I expect to be able to save 7 backups and for sure 6 but I get space exhausted on Google Drive after 5, 6 or 7 backups.

2b) I don't understand why if I have 3,98 GB free cannot store other one or two backup that are 1,83 GB but this is.

The result is that with 15 GB of Google Drive free space I'm unable to store 5, 6 or 7 backups inferior to 2 GB because after less then a week an email inform me about the backup failed.

3) If the Google Drive backup fail, also no local backup are stored in the server even if I enabled the option: Save backups in the server storage if the upload to remote storage fails Manual and scheduled backups intended for remote storage will be saved in the local server storage if uploading to remote storage fails. Users must have the permission to store backups in the server storage.

Is it possible that there's a limit on the number of backups on google drive? Although I haven't seen such a limit, it seems there's only a limit on the overall data volume.

I see that the community manager who was forwarding this to developers has changed hi rule. I'm asking if now topics here will be just left as topics or will be managed in some way. For now I'm forced to stop the external remote backup.

Back