• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Lasting Apache Module Installation - Linux

Òscar_Segura_Samper

New Pleskian
Hello,

CONTEXT:
Time ago I installed the mpm-itk module for apache2, which acts as "prefork" but allowing to constrain each individual vhost to a particular system user.

After its installation, with the following command,...
$ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-itk​

... and after some research on Plesk documentation, I answered another thread of this Forum ('Customizing VHosts templates for running with FTP User') to custom vhost template by adding the required AssignUserID to the FTP user of each domain, provided that later software updates would not change the apache2 config file (loosing so this directive of the mpm-itk and stepping back to the www-data default apache's execution user).

NOTICE that the mpm-itk requires www files' ownership granted to the AssignUserID user.

PROBLEM:
Recently I upgraded my Plesk Panel from version 11 to 12. I do not know whether or not it was the cause of the problem. Anyway, currently apache2 is running as follows:

user@default-domain:~$ ps -eo pid,ppid,user,group,command | grep apache
2160 1 root root /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
58651 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
58742 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
59559 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
59711 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60036 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60040 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60079 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60335 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60336 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
60433 2160 www-data www-data /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
---- deleted content ---- grep --color=auto apache

instead of one single process running as "root root" waiting to 'fork' and changing UID to the specific user defined by AssignUserID directive.

Effectively the required module, mpm-itk is not loaded anymore:

$ sudo apache2ctl -M | grep mpm
mpm_prefork_module (static)
Syntax OK

Neither is it installed:

$ sudo dpkg -l | grep mpm
ii apache2-mpm-prefork 2.2.22-1ubuntu1.10 Apache HTTP Server - traditional non-threaded model

I could re-install mpm-itk by 'apt-get install' again, but every time there is a problem a good administrator should provide a better solution, and I would like to solve updating problems definitively for any arising issue, as so it is.

QUESTION: How can someone install lasting and update-persistent apache modules in linux/ubuntu with Plesk?
Please, any suggestion will be welcome...
Thank you!

REFERENCES:
I have already reviewed some posts and documentation. However, I did not find a generic solution. Following reviewed links:
  • Odin/Parallels Forum: 'MPM -- Prefork versus Worker': not specific information is provided for either mpm-itk or update-persistent apache modules. It should be noticed one warning: "Parallels Plesk Panel was not tested with Apache MPM worker and installing it on Debian/Ubuntu will lead to removal of psa package" -> Could it be applicable to any apache2's module installation through 'apt-get install' ?
  • Odin/Parallels Forum: 'How to install and configure Apache modules': specific solution through "apxs -c -i" building (gcc compilation) and installation apache's command, but just for 'mem_cache','jk' and 'bw'. I have two doubts here: a) since includes manual wget download, rather than 'apt-get' / 'aptitude' install, would it automatically update at every 'apt-get update / upgrade'?, and b) is this solution applicable to any apache module?
  • Odin/Parallels Forum: 'Plesk 12: How to enable Apache ASP support?': using the command '/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller' and selecting Web hosting features the option to enable mpm-itk does not appear.

Last edited:
Back